Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Iran-US Extend Ceasefire, China Says Situation Remains Critical

| Source: ANTARA_ID Translated from Indonesian | Politics
Iran-US Extend Ceasefire, China Says Situation Remains Critical
Image: ANTARA_ID

Beijing (ANTARA) - The Chinese government supports the extension of the ceasefire between Iran and the United States (US), although it assesses that the situation in the Middle East region remains in a critical phase.

“The current situation in that region is at a critical stage regarding the possibility of the conflict ending. China supports the parties in continuing political and diplomatic efforts to resolve the dispute with the aim of achieving a full and lasting ceasefire,” said Spokesperson for the Chinese Foreign Ministry Guo Jiakun during a press conference in Beijing on Wednesday.

The statement came after US President Donald Trump announced the extension of the ceasefire, which was due to end on 22 April, until Iran submits an “integrated proposal” containing conditions for ending the war, while maintaining pressure on Tehran.

However, Trump emphasised that the US naval blockade would remain in place. Iran had previously described the move as a violation of the ceasefire and refused to negotiate “under the shadow of threats” or while the blockade persists, reflecting uncertainty in the negotiation process.

On the other hand, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) stated that oil production across the Middle East could become a target if attacks are launched from the territories of neighbouring countries in the Gulf region.

“The primary priority is to prevent by all means the recurrence of fighting and to maintain peace and stability in the Middle East and the Gulf region,” said Guo Jiakun.

He added that China is ready to play an active and constructive role alongside the international community, based on the four-point proposition put forward by President Xi Jinping.

The four principles include commitment to peaceful coexistence by promoting inter-state relations in the region, respect for the sovereignty, security, and territorial integrity of Gulf countries, upholding international law with the United Nations at its core, and a balanced approach between development and security.

“Let me reaffirm that as a responsible major country, China has always set an example in fulfilling its international obligations,” he stressed.

In response to Trump’s statement, spokesperson for the Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters, Ebrahim Zolfaghari, said Iran’s military is prepared to strike predetermined targets if the United States launches a new attack, as reported by Iranian state television on Wednesday.

Tensions have escalated since 28 February, when the United States and Israel launched attacks on Iran, including in Tehran, causing damage and civilian casualties. Iran then retaliated by attacking Israeli territory and US military facilities in the Middle East.

On 7 April, Washington and Tehran agreed to a two-week ceasefire until 22 April 2026. However, follow-up negotiations in Islamabad, Pakistan, on 11–12 April yielded no results.

In response, Trump ordered the US Navy to blockade Iranian ports to pressure Tehran back to the negotiating table. Since 13 April, the US has closed maritime traffic entering and exiting Iranian ports on both sides of the Strait of Hormuz, a route that accounts for about 20 per cent of global supplies of oil, petroleum products, and LNG.

The US Central Command (CENTCOM) also confirmed the seizure of the Iranian commercial vessel Touska, which was said to have attempted to breach the blockade in the Gulf of Oman, and it is now under US control.

View JSON | Print