Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

West Jakarta Environmental Agency Clears Rubbish Piles Around Kopro Market

| Source: ANTARA_ID Translated from Indonesian | Infrastructure
West Jakarta Environmental Agency Clears Rubbish Piles Around Kopro Market
Image: ANTARA_ID

Jakarta (ANTARA) - The West Jakarta Environmental Service (Sudin LH) has finally cleared the piles of rubbish around the Kopro Market area in Tanjung Duren Selatan, Grogol Petamburan, on Tuesday, after complaints from residents.

“It’s done; earlier today we deployed officers with one heavy excavator unit and three large-capacity trucks,” said the Head of Sudin LH West Jakarta, Achmad Hariadi, when contacted in Jakarta on Tuesday.

Hariadi also confirmed that the rubbish pile issue around the market area had been resolved by Tuesday afternoon.

“So, the rubbish wasn’t in the market area but outside it. The inside of the market is clean,” he said.

Regarding complaints from residents and traders about the long accumulation of rubbish at the site, Hariadi explained that rubbish collection could not be done simultaneously for the time being.

“So, it can’t be collected all at once. Indeed, some priority rubbish sources are transported there (to Bantar Gebang) because we’re still under quota restrictions,” he said.

His side prioritised clearing rubbish piles on protocol roads.

Meanwhile, the area around Kopro Market, Hariadi said, falls under the handling of arm-roll rubbish trucks (trucks with hydraulic bins) of small capacity.

“So, it’s not that it’s not collected; it just has a schedule,” he said.

“The rubbish issue in RW 5 of Tanjung Duren Selatan Sub-district is post-Eid accumulation. Finally, today we deployed three fleets and one shovel (heavy equipment) for today’s collection. Insha’Allah, it will be clean today,” said Udin.

He explained that the Grogol Petamburan area normally has a quota of 38 fleets per day to dispose of rubbish at Bantar Gebang.

However, due to the landslide incident at the disposal site, the quota was drastically limited to only 12 fleets per day.

This caused rubbish to pile up at temporary disposal sites, including next to Kopro Market.

Udin emphasised that conditions at Bantar Gebang are starting to improve, and waste delivery activities to the TPST are gradually returning to normal.

“But today it’s starting to increase; our quota can now transport 24 fleets to Bantar Gebang, so it’s being sorted out bit by bit and will definitely be cleaned up again,” he added.

At the site, the rubbish piles, mostly consisting of household waste, plastic bags, sacks, and used mattresses, were towering and spilling onto the road.

In addition to the pungent smell, the area around the rubbish mountain appeared dirty, muddy, and blackened due to puddles of water and liquids from the rubbish piles.

Several carts full of rubbish were also seen lined up next to the piles, indicating that the spot was a transit point for rubbish before being loaded onto trucks.

The heavy equipment continuously scooped the rubbish mountain from the bottom to transfer it to a large rubbish truck.

View JSON | Print