UGM Student Leader to Pigai: The State Must Be Present When There Is Terror
The chairman of the Student Executive Board of Gadjah Mada University (BEM UGM), Tiyo Ardianto, has responded to a statement by Human Rights Minister Natalius Pigai, who declared that the government was not behind the terror campaign targeting him. Tiyo had previously become the target of anonymous terror threats after criticising President Prabowo Subianto.
According to Tiyo, Pigai's statement was inconsistent with his responsibilities as the minister overseeing human rights. As Human Rights Minister, Tiyo said, Pigai should instead be providing assurances that freedom of expression is protected by the government, rather than making excuses.
Tiyo stated that he did not need to know the identity of the perpetrators. "With all due respect, Minister Pigai, what the public needs is a guarantee that when people face terror, the state is present," Tiyo said during an online press conference with the Indonesian Caucus for Academic Freedom (KIKA) on Tuesday, 17 February 2026.
Tiyo characterised Pigai's statement as a paranoid response from the ruling regime, noting that Pigai had rushed to defend the government even though neither Tiyo nor BEM UGM had accused it of being behind the terror. "This is essentially a form of regime paranoia, as though we were suggesting they were the ones who did it," said the Philosophy Faculty student.
Tiyo expressed regret that the government had yet to declare any commitment to guaranteeing freedom of expression since the terror incidents targeting him and several BEM UGM members. "To this day, the regime has not issued any public message stating: your academic freedom is guaranteed, your protection and safety will be facilitated by the state. Nothing," Tiyo said.
In early February, BEM UGM sent an open letter to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) lodging complaints about the Prabowo administration's policies following child suicide cases in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT). Tiyo and several BEM UGM officials received anonymous terror threats several days later.
Tiyo received threatening WhatsApp messages about kidnapping from a number with a British country code, four days after BEM criticised Prabowo. In addition to kidnapping threats, the perpetrator also sent messages accusing Tiyo of being a foreign agent and seeking attention. "Foreign agent. Stop seeking the spotlight peddling rubbish narratives," the message read.
Human Rights Minister Natalius Pigai said the government was not behind the terror targeting BEM UGM chairman Tiyo Ardianto. Pigai stated that anyone invoking the government's name in such actions was engaging in opinion manipulation.
"That is steering opinion as though the government is suppressing the opposition, activists, or students. That is not the case. Especially via WhatsApp," Pigai said on Tuesday, 17 February 2026, when asked about the terror directed at Tiyo following his criticism of the government.
The former National Human Rights Commission member said President Prabowo Subianto had prohibited the use of the law as a tool to suppress the opposition. Prabowo, he said, was also open to criticism. "If the president has stated his position, we comply," he said.
Pigai said the government was not offended by criticism, claiming that no one had been imprisoned for it. "If it is for criminal acts, that is different," he said.
According to Pigai, criticism from students serves as a corrective tool and input for the government. The government also regards criticism as an effort towards improvement. "Input aimed at the public interest and the common people is good. But accusing the government of carrying out terror — that goes too far," he said.
Pigai called on police authorities to investigate the terror campaign, noting that the perpetrator's phone number could be traced and the message contents examined. "The police will determine who the perpetrators are," he said.
According to Tiyo, Pigai's statement was inconsistent with his responsibilities as the minister overseeing human rights. As Human Rights Minister, Tiyo said, Pigai should instead be providing assurances that freedom of expression is protected by the government, rather than making excuses.
Tiyo stated that he did not need to know the identity of the perpetrators. "With all due respect, Minister Pigai, what the public needs is a guarantee that when people face terror, the state is present," Tiyo said during an online press conference with the Indonesian Caucus for Academic Freedom (KIKA) on Tuesday, 17 February 2026.
Tiyo characterised Pigai's statement as a paranoid response from the ruling regime, noting that Pigai had rushed to defend the government even though neither Tiyo nor BEM UGM had accused it of being behind the terror. "This is essentially a form of regime paranoia, as though we were suggesting they were the ones who did it," said the Philosophy Faculty student.
Tiyo expressed regret that the government had yet to declare any commitment to guaranteeing freedom of expression since the terror incidents targeting him and several BEM UGM members. "To this day, the regime has not issued any public message stating: your academic freedom is guaranteed, your protection and safety will be facilitated by the state. Nothing," Tiyo said.
In early February, BEM UGM sent an open letter to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) lodging complaints about the Prabowo administration's policies following child suicide cases in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT). Tiyo and several BEM UGM officials received anonymous terror threats several days later.
Tiyo received threatening WhatsApp messages about kidnapping from a number with a British country code, four days after BEM criticised Prabowo. In addition to kidnapping threats, the perpetrator also sent messages accusing Tiyo of being a foreign agent and seeking attention. "Foreign agent. Stop seeking the spotlight peddling rubbish narratives," the message read.
Human Rights Minister Natalius Pigai said the government was not behind the terror targeting BEM UGM chairman Tiyo Ardianto. Pigai stated that anyone invoking the government's name in such actions was engaging in opinion manipulation.
"That is steering opinion as though the government is suppressing the opposition, activists, or students. That is not the case. Especially via WhatsApp," Pigai said on Tuesday, 17 February 2026, when asked about the terror directed at Tiyo following his criticism of the government.
The former National Human Rights Commission member said President Prabowo Subianto had prohibited the use of the law as a tool to suppress the opposition. Prabowo, he said, was also open to criticism. "If the president has stated his position, we comply," he said.
Pigai said the government was not offended by criticism, claiming that no one had been imprisoned for it. "If it is for criminal acts, that is different," he said.
According to Pigai, criticism from students serves as a corrective tool and input for the government. The government also regards criticism as an effort towards improvement. "Input aimed at the public interest and the common people is good. But accusing the government of carrying out terror — that goes too far," he said.
Pigai called on police authorities to investigate the terror campaign, noting that the perpetrator's phone number could be traced and the message contents examined. "The police will determine who the perpetrators are," he said.