Trump's Ultimatum to EU Until 4 July, Threatens Much Higher Tariffs
Washington - US President Donald Trump stated on Thursday (7/5) that the United States is giving the European Union until 4 July to fulfil its part of the trade agreement, or Washington will impose tariffs that are “much higher” on the bloc.
Trump announced that he had held an “extraordinary conversation” with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.
“I have been waiting patiently for the European Union to fulfil their part of the historic Trade Agreement we agreed to in Turnberry, Scotland. The greatest trade deal ever!” Trump said on Truth Social.
“Promises were made that the European Union would fulfil their part of that deal and, as per the agreement, slash their tariffs to ZERO!,” he said.
“I agreed to give them until our 250th birthday or, unfortunately, their tariffs will immediately soar to much higher levels,” Trump added.
The US President further noted that during the conversation, many topics were discussed, including Iran, but he did not specifically mention Ukraine.
Earlier on the same day, Bernd Lange, chairman of the European Parliament’s International Trade Committee, stated that the European Union and the United States are expected to finalise a bilateral trade agreement within the next two weeks.
As reported at the end of January, the European Parliament froze the ratification of the EU-US trade agreement after Trump threatened to impose tariffs on European allies opposing his position on Greenland.
Subsequently, on 1 May, Trump announced plans to impose 25 percent tariffs on cars and trucks imported from the European Union, citing the bloc’s failure to comply with its trade commitments to the US.