South Korea suspects HMM ship explosion in Hormuz due to external attack
Seoul (ANTARA) - A South Korean investigation team has concluded that the explosion and fire on a South Korean-operated vessel in the Strait of Hormuz last week were caused by an attack from “unidentified flying objects”, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Sunday.
“The investigation confirms that unidentified flying objects struck the stern of the HMM ship,” the ministry said in a statement.
The announcement follows an on-site investigation by a seven-member government team regarding the explosion and fire on the Panama-flagged cargo ship Namu, operated by South Korean shipping company HMM Co.
Two separate objects struck the vessel about a minute apart at 15:30 local time on Monday, damaging the hull plating through to the interior of the ship, ministry spokesperson Park Il said during a press conference.
The fire in the engine room is believed to have been triggered by the first strike from the unidentified flying object, with the flames rapidly intensifying after the second impact, Park said, adding, “The cause of the fire is suspected not to be related to the ship’s internal systems.”
“CCTV footage captured the unidentified flying object, but there are limitations in precisely determining its type, origin, and physical size. The possibility that the objects were mines or torpedoes appears low,” he said.
US President Donald Trump had previously claimed that Iran had “shot” the HMM ship and other targets, but Iran’s embassy in Seoul issued an official statement saying the country “categorically and firmly” denies any involvement of its military in the incident.
Park said the country plans to conduct further analysis on engine debris found at the scene, apparently to identify the objects that struck the ship, while emphasising that the government will not judge who is responsible for the incident at this time.
The government will “thoroughly investigate the cause of the incident and pursue all possibilities.”
“We are taking steps, including cooperation with the international community, to prevent similar incidents from recurring and to ensure the safety of South Korean citizens,” Park said.
South Korea is also carefully considering possible participation in a US-led initiative, including the Maritime Freedom Construct (MFC).
Immediately after the announcement of the investigation results, Iran’s Ambassador to South Korea, Saeed Koozechi, arrived at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Seoul.
“Iran is considered one of the interested parties, and the ambassador visited the ministry to receive an explanation of the investigation results,” Park said.
“We are communicating with relevant countries based on the facts confirmed so far and will take necessary follow-up measures,” he said.