RP prosecutor predicts Estrada arrest soon
RP prosecutor predicts Estrada arrest soon
MANILA (Agencies): Ousted Philippine leader Joseph Estrada could face arrested for the capital crime of plunder by Monday, the country's top graft prosecutor predicted on Sunday.
State ombudsman Aniano Desierto said that Manila's anti-graft Sandigabayan court would find "probable cause" to order Estrada arrested on plunder, referring to massive corruption. The charge is punishable by death and is not bailable.
Asked by ABS-CBN television if he thought Estrada could be arrested on Monday, Desierto said: "The prosecution predicts that of course, because we have already submitted all the evidence in the case and we are certain that there will be probable cause," to arrest Estrada.
Desierto has filed eight charges of corruption against Estrada. He was arrested on two of the charges last week but swiftly posted bail.
Prosecutors however have asked the Sandigabayan to allow them to withdraw five lesser charges so that they could concentrate on plunder.
Last Friday, Justice Secretary Hernando Perez also told reporters in the southern Philippines that he had received information that the anti-graft court would issue an arrest order for Estrada on Monday
Armed forces spokesman Brig. Gen. Edilberto Adan said on Sunday members of Estrada's security entourage have been told not to resist arrest and follow the chain of command within the military.
"They are not his private guards. They will not resist any arrest order otherwise they will also be subject to prosecution," Adan said.
Separately, Philippine police said on Sunday plans were in place in case Estrada's supporters take to the streets if he is arrested..
National Police (PNP) spokesman Col. Rodrigo de Garcia said there were no reports of major rallies by Estrada's supporters on Sunday but police were on alert.
"The rally is not being held right now, but there are threats that rallies will be held," Garcia told Reuters.
"We have a contingency plan...we are on red alert."
Estrada enjoys significant support, especially in the country's slum communities. He has appealed to his supporters to stay calm.
Garcia said police also had plans to reinforce major points of exit from the country, in case Estrada tried to flee. Estrada has denied any wrongdoing and has vowed not to flee from the country but to fight the charges in court.
Speaking to reporters on the weekend Estrada again appealed to his supporters not to resort to violence if he is arrested. "Whatever happens, I am placing my fate in the hands of God," he said.
In an interview with The Philippine Star newspaper published on Sunday, Estrada said he had received reliable information his arrest order would be served either on Monday or Tuesday but he had no plan of becoming a fugitive.
He reiterated that he was prepared to go to jail, but said he could still avoid arrest if the evidence against him was weak.
"I'm ready (to go to jail) as long as it is...in accordance with the law," he told the newspaper.
The former movie actor also said if the prosecution failed to present strong enough evidence, it would make the case bailable.
The newspaper also quoted Estrada as saying he would withdraw his lawyers from any court proceeding if he felt he would not get a fair trial.
Besides plunder, Estrada faces seven other charges including taking more than 500 million pesos ($10 million) in bribes from illegal gambling syndicates and earning 189 million pesos in commission from the purchase by two state pension funds of shares in a gaming firm.