Richard Lee's Detention Extended Again Until 3 June
Metro Jaya Police have once again extended the detention period of Richard Lee, the suspect in the alleged violation of health and consumer protection regulations. Richard has been held at the Metro Jaya Police Detention Centre since 6 March. His detention was previously extended for 40 days from 26 March to 4 May. “And I inform you that from 5 May to 3 June 2026, the detention period for suspect DRL has been extended. We have submitted this to the District Court for the extension of his detention,” said Kompol Andaru Rahutomo, Head of the Public Information Sub-section of the Metro Jaya Police Public Relations Division, to reporters on Tuesday (5/5). Andaru stated that Richard Lee’s detention has been extended again because investigators still need time to complete the case file. Andaru explained that on 31 March, investigators sent Richard’s case file to the Banten High Prosecutor’s Office. However, the case file was returned or issued a P19 by the prosecutors on 13 April. “In that process, investigators are completing the deficiencies in evidence, physical evidence, witness statements, hence there are additional examinations and a series of other investigative actions to gather facts,” said Andaru. However, according to Andaru, investigators have completed the case file in accordance with the prosecutor’s instructions and have resubmitted it to the prosecutors. Currently, he continued, they are still awaiting the results of the prosecutor’s examination. “Investigators have fulfilled the instructions from the Prosecutor’s Office; we will wait together for further developments, hopefully it will be resolved soon,” he said. The case involving Richard originated from a report filed by Samira Farahnaz, or the detective doctor (doktif), on 2 December 2024 with number LP/B/7317/XII/2024/SPKT Metro Jaya Police. From the results of the investigation and prosecution, the police designated Richard as a suspect in the alleged violation of health and consumer protection regulations. He has held suspect status since 15 December 2025. In this case, Richard is charged under Article 435 in conjunction with Article 138 paragraph 2 of Law No. 17 of 2023 on Health, with a penalty of 12 years’ imprisonment and/or a maximum fine of Rp5 billion. Richard is also charged under Article 62 paragraph 1 in conjunction with Article 8 paragraph 1 and/or Article 9 paragraph 1 of Law No. 8 of 1999 on Consumer Protection, with a penalty of five years’ imprisonment and/or a maximum fine of Rp2 billion. Richard was officially detained at the Metro Jaya Police Detention Centre after completing further examination as a suspect on Friday (6/3) night.