Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Residents of Muara Batang Angkola Village in Mandailing Natal Refuse Relocation

| Source: ANTARA_ID | Social Policy
Mandailing Natal, North Sumatra — Residents of Muara Batang Angkola village in Mandailing Natal, North Sumatra, a region frequently hit by flooding, have refused to be relocated, as they still depend on livelihoods in and around the village.

"We, the villagers, have agreed that we do not wish to be relocated," said Satriya Wira, the head of Muara Batang Angkola village in Mandailing Natal, on Friday.

He said the residents had reached a consensus not to leave their homeland, despite it being one of the areas most prone to flooding.

According to him, the flooding in his village is caused by the confluence of two rivers — the Muara Batang Gadis River and the Batang Angkola River — which frequently overflow during heavy rainfall.

Wira explained that the meeting point of the two rivers means the water volume cannot be contained, particularly as the river width is insufficient for the volume of water.

"If the river confluence were to be widened, the flooding problem in our village would likely be resolved," he said.

Wira added that almost all residents in his village were affected by flooding exceeding two metres in height at the end of November 2025, forcing them to evacuate to other areas.

He stated that the Mandailing Natal regency government had previously proposed relocation to a safer location, but the community was reluctant because their economic activities are based in the village.

"The number of affected residents is 187 households, or more than 600 people," he added.

Meanwhile, a local resident, Zulfahri Lubis, said that Muara Batang Angkola village has indeed long been a flood-prone area, but normally the water does not rise above ankle height and residents have never had to evacuate.

"Last time we had to evacuate for 10 days. It was indeed the worst flooding we have experienced. However, we are certain we do not want to be relocated," he said.

Previously, the Mandailing Natal regency government in North Sumatra had sought to relocate a total of 464 houses belonging to residents in several flood-prone locations across the district.

"We are proposing centralised relocation for 464 houses," said Muksin Nasution, head of the Mandailing Natal Regional Disaster Management Agency (BPBD).

According to him, the natural disasters in Mandailing Natal during the hydrometeorological event that struck several areas in North Sumatra at the end of November 2025 predominantly involved flooding with water levels exceeding two metres.

He confirmed that no houses were severely damaged by the disaster, but the government has proposed relocating a number of homes in several villages that are frequently affected by flooding.

The Mandailing Natal BPBD has proposed centralised relocation for flood-prone villages, including Muara Batang Angkola village in Siabu subdistrict, Hutarimbaru village, Ranto Panjang village, and Lubuk Kapundung 1 village in Muara Batanggadis subdistrict, as well as Batahan III village in Batahan subdistrict, and Koto Puat hamlet in Batu Sondat village, also in Batahan subdistrict.

Overall, according to Muksin, 464 houses are planned for centralised relocation, whilst 15 houses will undergo independent relocation.
View JSON | Print