Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Rempang Eco City Removed from National Strategic Projects List, Commission VI Confirms

| Source: GALERT
Jakarta, MI - Member of House of Representatives Commission VI from the PDIP faction, Rieke Diah Pitaloka, has affirmed that the Rempang Eco City project is no longer listed among the National Strategic Projects (PSN). This is based on Presidential Regulation (Perpres) Number 12 of 2025 concerning the National Medium-Term Development Plan (RPJMN) 2025-2029.

"Hopefully Commission VI can become a place where the hopes of thousands of people from Rempang Island and Sabang Emas can be realised," said Rieke during a meeting with community groups from Rempang Island and Gobah Village, Tambang District, on Monday (28/4/2025).

She also provided moral support to residents, including Siti Hawa, known as Grandmother Awe, a champion of Rempang residents' rights. "No religion permits someone's land rights to be seized just like that. This is a struggle (jihad) for us," Rieke stressed, whilst reading out the annex to the Presidential Regulation showing that Rempang Eco-City is no longer included in the PSN list.

"Grandmother, I present this to you. It is clear here that the Rempang Eco-City strategic project is no longer in the Presidential Regulation signed by President Prabowo. It no longer exists, it is cancelled," said Rieke.

The statement was enthusiastically received by the delegation from the Rempang Galang Bersatu Community Alliance (AMAR-GB) present at the Public Hearing.

Meanwhile, Deputy Chairman of Commission VI, Nurdin Halid, also confirmed that Rempang Eco-City is no longer listed among the latest PSN. He stated that Commission VI would conduct a visit to Batam, including Rempang Island, in mid-May 2025.

"We will coordinate with BP Batam and related parties. God willing, on 15-17 May we will be in Batam, including Rempang," Nurdin affirmed.

Commission VI of the House of Representatives plays an important role as BP Batam's partner and can provide policy recommendations regarding the Barelang community, particularly in matters concerning BP Batam's authority.

Although the latest Presidential Regulation does not list Rempang Eco-City as a PSN, previously, BP Batam's Head of Public Relations Bureau, Ariastuty Sirait, stated on 13 March 2025 that the project still held national strategic status.

Presidential Regulation Number 12 of 2025, signed by President Prabowo Subianto on 10 February 2025, lists 77 PSN projects in the RPJMN 2025-2029, and Rempang Eco-City is not among them.

With the confirmation from Commission VI, Rempang residents hope for legal certainty regarding the status of their land and that no further project claims will threaten their rights.

The Rempang Eco City development plan previously sparked unrest that resulted in casualties among local residents who refused to be relocated to other areas. Bahlil Lahadalia, currently serving as Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources, personally visited the site to provide input to residents. Bahlil, who supported the Rempang Eco City development, also attempted to persuade the community to accept relocation by preparing various facilities.

The land area of 7,572 hectares on Rempang Island was targeted for the National Strategic Project to build a glass factory. Rempang Eco City was included in the 2023 PSN under Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs Regulation Number 7 of 2023, signed on 28 August 2023.

PT Makmur Elok Graha (MEG) succeeded in attracting a Chinese investor, Xinyi International Investment Limited, with an investment value of USD 11.5 billion, equivalent to 174 trillion rupiah, through to 2080. The cooperation was projected to attract investments totalling Rp381 trillion, with a target of absorbing approximately 306,000 workers through to 2080.

PT MEG was granted 17,000 hectares of land encompassing all of Rempang Island and Subang Mas Island. However, 16 Malay indigenous villages that have been settled since 1834 strongly opposed the project.

In 2001, BP Batam issued Land Management Rights (HPL) to a private company, which subsequently changed hands to PT MEG. From 7 September 2023 to 18 December 2025, a land conflict occurred between residents and PT MEG on Rempang.

Recommendations to address the issue include: supporting the government's evaluation of the 2023 PSN for Rempang Eco City, which is no longer listed in the annex of Perpres 12/2025; demanding an end to intimidation and violence against Rempang Island residents, noting that anyone carrying out intimidation is openly defying the Presidential Regulation and must face legal sanctions; supporting the Attorney General's Office and KPK in investigating strong indications of manipulation of management rights over 17,000 hectares granted to PT MEG; requesting the House of Representatives leadership to ask BPK to audit BP Batam regarding Rempang Island and Subang Mas Island; and proposing a Public Hearing of Commission VI with BP Batam's directors, representatives of Rempang and Subang Mas Island residents, and PT MEG.
View JSON | Print