Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Pramono Prepares Facilities for Waste Separation Initiative from Households

| Source: CNN_ID Translated from Indonesian | Social Policy
Pramono Prepares Facilities for Waste Separation Initiative from Households
Image: CNN_ID

Governor of DKI Jakarta, Pramono Anung Wibowo, stated that facilities and infrastructure will soon be prepared to support the waste separation movement in residents’ homes. He made this statement following the issuance of Governor’s Instruction (Ingub) DKI 5/2026 on the waste separation and processing movement, as well as evaluations and input from the DKI DPRD. “Gradually, of course, the facilities and infrastructure will also be prepared by us,” said Pramono in the Jakarta East area on Monday (11/5), as quoted from Antara. According to Pramono, the movement has just begun, so it still requires time to provide the facilities and infrastructure. Nevertheless, he claimed to have asked mayors, district heads, sub-district heads, down to RW and RT levels to intensify the waste separation movement. “But the most important thing is that this must be sustainable, it must not stop, because this is what will change the face of Jakarta in terms of waste,” he said. Previously, the Special Committee (Pansus) on Waste Management of the DKI Jakarta DPRD highlighted the minimal facilities and infrastructure provided to support the programme regulated through the Ingub. “If we have separated from home, once out of the house, where do we put this waste? We cannot just appeal without preparing the facilities and infrastructure,” said Judistira. According to him, appeals to the public to separate waste have not been accompanied by readiness of facilities on the ground. He also touched on the level of public understanding and discipline in supporting waste management, which is still not optimal. Therefore, education is deemed necessary to run alongside the provision of adequate facilities. In agreement, member of Commission D of the DKI Jakarta DPRD, Nabilah Aboebakar Alhabsyi, stated that the culture of separating waste must start from the government environment, including in sub-district offices, districts, and all Regional Work Units (SKPD) before being mandated to the public. “If we want the public to be disciplined in separating waste from home, then government agency offices must first set an example. Do not let the campaign movement be strong, but the practice in the field is not yet consistent,” said Nabilah in Jakarta on Monday, responding to Governor’s Instruction (Ingub) DKI 5/2026 on the waste separation and processing movement that was recently issued. Nabilah claimed to fully support the DKI Jakarta Governor’s instruction regarding the waste separation movement from homes starting from 10 May. However, she added that she does not want the movement to stop at mere slogans. According to her, the success of the waste reduction movement cannot solely be burdened on the public, while government offices have not fully provided an example in implementing daily waste separation. Therefore, her side urges the government—especially the DKI Provincial Government—to demonstrate real standards so that the campaign has legitimacy in the eyes of the public. Furthermore, she requested that the mandatory waste separation movement be accompanied by supervision, supporting facilities, and periodic evaluations in the government environment. She emphasised that behavioural change will not run effectively without exemplary leadership from the government itself. “The government must be present, not just through appeals, but through real examples. From government offices first, then the public will believe and join the movement,” said Nabilah.

View JSON | Print