New Chapter in Taufik Hidayat Case: Police to Soon Transfer Files on YTR's Confinement to Prosecutors
The West Java Regional Police (Polda Jabar) have provided the latest update on the handling of the abuse and confinement case against a woman with the initials YTR (29), allegedly perpetrated by Taufik Hidayat (30) over three years, resulting in the victim sustaining permanent disabilities. Polda Jabar Head of Public Relations, Commissioner Hendra Rochmawan, stated that the suspect’s case file has been declared complete. However, investigators are still conducting further inquiries by examining two additional witnesses to strengthen the evidence before the file is handed over to prosecutors. “The legal construction we have applied to Taufik Hidayat is already quite extensive, covering abuse, confinement, and sexual violence. This is the legal construction we have applied and are reinforcing with the elements of the articles,” Hendra said, as quoted on Monday, 20 July 2026. To date, investigators have taken statements from 31 witnesses. Once the additional examinations are completed, the case file will be immediately submitted to the Public Prosecutor. Hendra also conveyed that YTR’s condition continues to show positive progress. The West Java Police are currently awaiting recommendations from Hasan Sadikin Hospital in Bandung regarding further medical treatment for the victim. “For the victim, thank God she is improving, and we are waiting for a response from Hasan Sadikin Hospital on whether medical procedures can be performed for her health, especially for the recovery of her lips and teeth. Please pray that the investigation and the legal process can be expedited,” he said. Previously, the victim’s brother, Afif Shandy, said his sister’s condition was steadily improving. According to him, the victim can now communicate, sit, and walk. “Alhamdulillah, she can now communicate well and perform various movements, such as sitting and walking properly,” Afif said. He added that YTR still needs to undergo a recovery period and several follow-up surgeries. The family is also limiting the number of visitors to ensure the healing process proceeds optimally. “Our parents take turns waiting at the hospital. Not many people are allowed to visit now so that the healing process can be quick,” he said. Afif hopes the legal process against the perpetrator runs smoothly and that he receives the maximum sentence. “Hopefully the trial process will be smooth and the perpetrator receives the maximum punishment,” he said. In this case, Taufik is charged under Article 451 on hostage-taking, Article 469 paragraph (1) on premeditated grievous bodily harm, and Article 6 of Law Number 12 of 2022 on Sexual Violence Crimes, based on the post-mortem report and statements from expert witnesses and the victim.