Ministry of Transport Closes 11 Pioneer Airports in Papua
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation under the Ministry of Transport has temporarily suspended operations at 11 pioneer airports in Papua. The suspension follows the shooting incident targeting a Smart Air aircraft at Korowai Airstrip, Boven Digoel Regency, South Papua.
Director General of Civil Aviation Lukman F. Laisa said pioneer airport operations were temporarily halted to anticipate unwanted incidents. Operations will resume once security has been provided by the TNI/Polri (military/police). "Security conditions must be conducive and meet aviation safety standards," Lukman said on Monday, 16 February 2026.
The eleven airports temporarily suspended are: Koroway Batu Service Unit in South Papua, Bomakia Airport in Papua Pegunungan, Yaniruma Service Unit in Papua Pegunungan, and Manggelum Service Unit in Papua Pegunungan.
Additionally, Kapiraya Airstrip, Iwur Airstrip, Faowi Airstrip, Dagai Airstrip, Aboy Airstrip, and Teraplu Airstrip — all in Papua Pegunungan — as well as Beoga Airstrip in Central Papua.
Meanwhile, five pioneer airports continue to operate under TNI/Polri security despite being located in vulnerable areas. "Flight operations may be conducted whilst continuing to monitor developments in local conditions," he said. The five airports are Kiwirok Airport in Papua Pegunungan, Moanamani Airport in Central Papua, Sinak Service Unit in Ilaga Central Papua, Agandugume Service Unit in Ilaga Central Papua, and Illu Airport in Central Papua.
Lukman stated that operators suspending flights for security reasons would not face sanctions. Pioneer airports may also continue operations provided security conditions at destination airports are met. "Operators are given the authority to conduct security assessments and decide on the continuation of operations for the sake of safety," he said.
The Ministry of Transport has submitted an official letter to the TNI/Polri requesting enhanced security in certain areas. The Ministry has also instructed all Regional Coordinators for pioneer aviation to conduct intensive coordination with security forces.
The Directorate of Civil Aviation is also mapping airports based on risk levels and developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) specifically for flight crews in critical areas. It is additionally coordinating with the Coordinating Ministry for Political and Security Affairs and law enforcement agencies regarding the investigation of the incident in accordance with aviation legislation.
The Ministry of Transport emphasised the importance of strengthening the legal basis for temporary operational suspensions when security conditions are not met. "As well as the need for a Joint Decree between local governments and security forces to strengthen the implementation of pioneer air transport," Lukman said.
Head of the Public Relations Task Force for Operation Damai Cartenz, Senior Commissioner Yusuf Sutejo, previously stated that at the time of the shooting incident, the aircraft flown by Captain Egon Erawan and Co-pilot Captain Bas Koro was carrying 13 passengers.
The A/C C208B Ex type aircraft departed from Tanah Merah Airport at 10.35 Eastern Indonesian Time on Wednesday, 11 February 2026, and landed at Korowai Airstrip at approximately 11.00 Eastern Indonesian Time — precisely when the shooting incident occurred.
The pilot and co-pilot were pronounced dead as a result of the shooting. Meanwhile, all 13 passengers — comprising 12 adults and one infant — survived. The Operation Damai Cartenz Task Force stated it had identified the perpetrators as members of the West Papua National Liberation Army-Free Papua Organisation (TPNPB-OPM) Yahukimo group, known as the Kanibal and Semut Merah Battalions.
TPNPB central headquarters spokesperson Sebby Sambom said the Korowai area is an operational zone of the TPNPB militia under Regional Defence Command (Kodap) XVI/Yahukimo, led by Elkius Kobak with Kopitua Heluka as operations commander. "We are being straightforward — TPNPB has long issued warnings for Indonesians to leave Papuan territory, especially in conflict zones," Sebby said via a WhatsApp voice message on Monday, 16 February 2026.
TPNPB, he continued, has designated the Boven Digoel area within the Kodap XVI/Yahukimo operational zone as a conflict zone, meaning various firefight incidents are considered commonplace.
Director General of Civil Aviation Lukman F. Laisa said pioneer airport operations were temporarily halted to anticipate unwanted incidents. Operations will resume once security has been provided by the TNI/Polri (military/police). "Security conditions must be conducive and meet aviation safety standards," Lukman said on Monday, 16 February 2026.
The eleven airports temporarily suspended are: Koroway Batu Service Unit in South Papua, Bomakia Airport in Papua Pegunungan, Yaniruma Service Unit in Papua Pegunungan, and Manggelum Service Unit in Papua Pegunungan.
Additionally, Kapiraya Airstrip, Iwur Airstrip, Faowi Airstrip, Dagai Airstrip, Aboy Airstrip, and Teraplu Airstrip — all in Papua Pegunungan — as well as Beoga Airstrip in Central Papua.
Meanwhile, five pioneer airports continue to operate under TNI/Polri security despite being located in vulnerable areas. "Flight operations may be conducted whilst continuing to monitor developments in local conditions," he said. The five airports are Kiwirok Airport in Papua Pegunungan, Moanamani Airport in Central Papua, Sinak Service Unit in Ilaga Central Papua, Agandugume Service Unit in Ilaga Central Papua, and Illu Airport in Central Papua.
Lukman stated that operators suspending flights for security reasons would not face sanctions. Pioneer airports may also continue operations provided security conditions at destination airports are met. "Operators are given the authority to conduct security assessments and decide on the continuation of operations for the sake of safety," he said.
The Ministry of Transport has submitted an official letter to the TNI/Polri requesting enhanced security in certain areas. The Ministry has also instructed all Regional Coordinators for pioneer aviation to conduct intensive coordination with security forces.
The Directorate of Civil Aviation is also mapping airports based on risk levels and developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) specifically for flight crews in critical areas. It is additionally coordinating with the Coordinating Ministry for Political and Security Affairs and law enforcement agencies regarding the investigation of the incident in accordance with aviation legislation.
The Ministry of Transport emphasised the importance of strengthening the legal basis for temporary operational suspensions when security conditions are not met. "As well as the need for a Joint Decree between local governments and security forces to strengthen the implementation of pioneer air transport," Lukman said.
Head of the Public Relations Task Force for Operation Damai Cartenz, Senior Commissioner Yusuf Sutejo, previously stated that at the time of the shooting incident, the aircraft flown by Captain Egon Erawan and Co-pilot Captain Bas Koro was carrying 13 passengers.
The A/C C208B Ex type aircraft departed from Tanah Merah Airport at 10.35 Eastern Indonesian Time on Wednesday, 11 February 2026, and landed at Korowai Airstrip at approximately 11.00 Eastern Indonesian Time — precisely when the shooting incident occurred.
The pilot and co-pilot were pronounced dead as a result of the shooting. Meanwhile, all 13 passengers — comprising 12 adults and one infant — survived. The Operation Damai Cartenz Task Force stated it had identified the perpetrators as members of the West Papua National Liberation Army-Free Papua Organisation (TPNPB-OPM) Yahukimo group, known as the Kanibal and Semut Merah Battalions.
TPNPB central headquarters spokesperson Sebby Sambom said the Korowai area is an operational zone of the TPNPB militia under Regional Defence Command (Kodap) XVI/Yahukimo, led by Elkius Kobak with Kopitua Heluka as operations commander. "We are being straightforward — TPNPB has long issued warnings for Indonesians to leave Papuan territory, especially in conflict zones," Sebby said via a WhatsApp voice message on Monday, 16 February 2026.
TPNPB, he continued, has designated the Boven Digoel area within the Kodap XVI/Yahukimo operational zone as a conflict zone, meaning various firefight incidents are considered commonplace.