Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Lhok Pungki Residents Await Completion of Temporary Shelters During Ramadan

| Source: ANTARA_ID
North Aceh, Aceh (ANTARA) - Residents of Lhok Pungki hamlet, located in Gunci Village, Sawang District, North Aceh Regency, Aceh, are awaiting the completion of temporary shelters (huntara) scheduled to be finished during the holy month of Ramadan 1447 Hijriah/2026.

"We have received 43 shelters, but we are still short of 42 more," said Lhok Pungki hamlet head Firmadi, who was met at the Lhok Pungki Evacuation Post in North Aceh on Monday.

Firmadi said the number of households affected by the flash floods and landslides in Lhok Pungki hamlet reached 85. Meanwhile, the temporary shelters offered so far only cover a portion of these households.

The remainder, he said, are still waiting for confirmation on the issuance of a Regent's Decree on the designation of temporary shelter locations.

"The decree has not been issued yet. We are still waiting for it," Firmadi said.

Echoing Firmadi's sentiments, a displaced resident from Lhok Pungki hamlet, Imam Zamzami, expressed his hope to move into temporary shelters as soon as possible. He added that, if possible, he would like to move directly into permanent housing.

Imam explained that there is little chance for him and other displaced residents from Lhok Pungki to return to the hamlet.

Lhok Pungki was a hamlet completely swept away by the flash floods and landslides that struck Aceh in November 2025. Homes that once stood on the land have now been replaced by timber debris and enormous boulders.

He therefore hopes to soon occupy a new location that is safer from floods and landslides.

"God willing, we pray it will be soon. The temporary shelters were previously targeted for completion before the fasting month, but fasting begins tomorrow," he said.

The government has planned the construction of 17,036 temporary shelter units. As of 12 February, a total of 5,489 units, or approximately 32 per cent, had been completed across the three affected provinces.

Meanwhile, the construction of permanent housing is targeted at 15,719 units, distributed as follows: 3,657 units in West Sumatra, 3,462 units in North Sumatra, and 8,600 units in Aceh.

The entire construction process for both temporary and permanent housing is being carried out through coordinated efforts between the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), the Ministry of Housing and Settlement Areas, local governments, and active support from military personnel in physical construction and material distribution.
View JSON | Print