Komnas HAM: Attack on civilians in Puncak violates human rights
Nabire (ANTARA) - The National Human Rights Commission (Komnas HAM) has stated that the attack resulting in the deaths and injuries of civilians in Puncak Regency, Central Papua, constitutes a human rights violation.
Komnas HAM Chairman Anis Hidayat, in a written statement received in Nabire on Saturday, said that the commission had received information about civilian casualties during the TNI’s enforcement operation against the TPNPB-OPM group on 14 April 2026 in Kembru Village, Kembru District, Puncak Regency.
“This incident caused several civilians to lose their lives, including vulnerable groups such as women and children, as well as more than a dozen others sustaining serious injuries,” he said.
Anis emphasised that any form of attack on civilians, whether in situations of war or otherwise, cannot be justified for any reason.
Attacks on civilians by state or non-state actors constitute human rights violations and breaches of international humanitarian law, as they infringe upon the right to life and the non-derogable right to security in any circumstances.
Komnas HAM also expressed deep condolences over the loss of lives, particularly among vulnerable groups.
From a human rights perspective, Anis stated, civilians must receive maximum protection from all parties, especially the state.
“Law enforcement and security approaches must be carried out professionally, proportionately, and while respecting human rights principles,” he said.
Komnas HAM also called on the central and regional governments to immediately take protective and recovery measures for the victims, both in terms of health and psychological support, and to ensure that civilians are not displaced for security reasons.
Furthermore, Komnas HAM urged the TNI Commander to evaluate the enforcement operation conducted and to ensure that law enforcement processes are professional, transparent, and thorough.
Komnas HAM affirmed that it will take further monitoring steps in accordance with applicable mechanisms to ensure that human rights protection remains upheld in the conflict area.
Previously, Central Papua Governor Meki Nawipa stated that the armed conflict between TNI/Polri and OPM should not sacrifice civilians, especially women and children.
“We condemn imprecise actions where children and women become victims,” he said.
The Governor has communicated with the Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal, and Security Affairs as well as the Minister of Home Affairs to take handling measures for the shooting victims in Puncak Regency.
The Central Papua Provincial Government has also ensured that medical handling for the victims is the top priority, including funding treatment until recovery.