Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Jakarta Residents Support Ban on Restaurant Sweeping During Ramadan: Tolerance

| Source: DETIK | Social Policy
Jakarta Governor Pramono Anung has banned civil organisations (ormas) from conducting sweeping raids on restaurants during the month of Ramadan. Residents in Manggarai, South Jakarta, have expressed their support for the ban in the spirit of mutual tolerance.

A Manggarai resident, Epi (50), said that everyone has their own beliefs and that harmony among residents is paramount. "It's good that way. Because some people don't fast and they get hungry. But this is about tolerance," Epi said when interviewed in the Manggarai area on Tuesday (17/2/2026).

Nevertheless, Epi noted that the Ramadan atmosphere in Manggarai is solemn. Many restaurants choose to open in the afternoon to serve iftar menus and takjil (breaking-fast snacks), and he has never witnessed any organisations conducting sweeping raids. "Most sellers only start getting busy after Asr prayers, right up until iftar. But trading during the daytime is rare. We just follow along. So even without sweeping, it doesn't matter — people simply don't trade during the day. They start selling at Asr time," Epi explained.

Another resident, Hasan (51), said he agreed with the ban on sweeping by civil organisations, though he also suggested that restaurant owners should only open in the afternoon approaching Maghrib prayer time. "I think the ban on sweeping is good. But ideally, restaurants could close first and then open in the afternoon towards Maghrib. But then again, it's everyone's right. Personally, I'd rather remain neutral," Hasan said.

Hasan reasoned that Jakarta residents come from diverse backgrounds, making the city highly pluralistic. He viewed the Jakarta Provincial Government's efforts as part of fostering mutual respect. "For Jakarta, it's actually quite normal — between those who fast and those who don't. It's really not an issue. Jakarta is pluralistic," he said.

Eneng (31), the owner of a food and coffee stall in Manggarai, also expressed support for the ban on sweeping raids, noting that not everyone observes the fast. "It's good, because not everyone fasts. I mean, there are many non-Muslims who don't fast. They need to eat too," Eneng said.

Despite this, Eneng mentioned that her stall would be partially covered so it is not directly visible from outside — a gesture she considers a sign of mutual respect for those observing the fast. "Of course. We'll just respect each other. Tomorrow we'll put up a half-cover, so people know we're open and those who want to eat are welcome," Eneng said.

Previously, Jakarta Governor Pramono Anung firmly stated that he would not permit civil organisations to conduct sweeping raids on restaurants during Ramadan. He called on all parties to maintain a peaceful and harmonious atmosphere during the fasting month.

Pramono made the statement after inaugurating the Kerapatan Gereja Protestan Minahasa (KGPM) church building in the Senen area, Central Jakarta, on Saturday (14/2/2026). He said that welcoming Ramadan must be done with peace, not with actions that cause unrest. "I want to emphasise that welcoming Ramadan must be filled with peace and harmony," Pramono said in Senen, Central Jakarta, on Saturday (14/2).

He explained that Jakarta was still in the midst of Chinese New Year celebrations until 17 February, after which the city's atmosphere would shift to welcoming Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr.

The Jakarta Provincial Government, he said, had prepared various measures to ensure the period of worship proceeds in an orderly manner. When asked about the potential for sweeping raids on eateries by civil organisations, Pramono reaffirmed the ban. "As governor, I am responsible for this, and I do not permit any sweeping," he asserted.
View JSON | Print