Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Israel Deploys Police to Al-Aqsa During Ramadan, Palestinian Access Restricted

| Source: DETIK
Israeli police have said they will deploy a major force around Al-Aqsa Mosque during the holy month of Ramadan, whilst Palestinian officials have stated that Israel is imposing restrictions on the compound.

According to AFP on Tuesday (17/2/2026), during the fasting month, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — the third holiest site in Islam, located in East Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and subsequently annexed.

Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed day and night throughout the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding areas.

Braverman said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which attract the largest number of Muslim worshippers. He added that police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.

Braverman did not specify whether age restrictions would apply, adding that the final number of people permitted would be determined by the government.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Authority said in a separate statement that it had been informed permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year's criteria.

It said Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian-administered body that manages the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics. Waqf sources confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.

The Al-Aqsa compound is a paramount symbol of Palestinian identity and frequently serves as a flashpoint for conflict. Under a long-standing arrangement, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but are not permitted to pray there.

Israel has declared its commitment to maintaining this status quo, although Palestinians fear it is being eroded. Braverman reaffirmed that no changes were planned.

In recent years, an increasing number of Jewish ultranationalist groups have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site whilst serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.
View JSON | Print