Investment Minister Addresses Thuggery at BYD Electric Vehicle Factory Project in Subang
Jakarta, CNBC Indonesia - Investment and Downstreaming Minister, also head of the Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM), Rosan P Roeslani has spoken out regarding thuggery practices occurring at the Chinese electric vehicle manufacturer BYD's factory project in the Subang Industrial Zone.
Rosan stated that he had received reports about the disruptive actions by mass organisations (Ormas). His office immediately coordinated with the National Police Chief and local government authorities to ensure such incidents do not recur.
"This has a negative impact on incoming investment. So we are truly monitoring the situation directly," Rosan explained during a press conference on Tuesday (29/4/2025).
Rosan affirmed that the government had ordered all reports to be filed and coordinated directly with the National Police Chief, Provincial Police Chief, District Police Chief, and Sub-district Police Chief.
"This must not happen again," Rosan stressed.
The BYD factory investment in Subang amounts to tens of trillions of rupiah, valued at US$1 billion. BYD Motor Indonesia President Director Eagle Zhao revealed that factory construction would be completed within the next year.
"Every stage of our factory construction is progressing smoothly and on schedule. We remain committed to completing construction by the end of 2025," Zhao said during a BYD media gathering earlier last year.
The factory under construction is located in the Subang industrial zone, West Java. Its production capacity will reach 150,000 electric vehicle (EV) units per year. The company intends to make Indonesia a focus for the export market.
"Earlier this year, BKPM, which serves as our investment window, visited and they were quite satisfied with the progress, which is on track. We also received Minister Rosan at BYD headquarters, so we continue to ensure that BYD can comply with existing policies," said BYD Motor Indonesia President Director Eagle Zhao.
Rosan stated that he had received reports about the disruptive actions by mass organisations (Ormas). His office immediately coordinated with the National Police Chief and local government authorities to ensure such incidents do not recur.
"This has a negative impact on incoming investment. So we are truly monitoring the situation directly," Rosan explained during a press conference on Tuesday (29/4/2025).
Rosan affirmed that the government had ordered all reports to be filed and coordinated directly with the National Police Chief, Provincial Police Chief, District Police Chief, and Sub-district Police Chief.
"This must not happen again," Rosan stressed.
The BYD factory investment in Subang amounts to tens of trillions of rupiah, valued at US$1 billion. BYD Motor Indonesia President Director Eagle Zhao revealed that factory construction would be completed within the next year.
"Every stage of our factory construction is progressing smoothly and on schedule. We remain committed to completing construction by the end of 2025," Zhao said during a BYD media gathering earlier last year.
The factory under construction is located in the Subang industrial zone, West Java. Its production capacity will reach 150,000 electric vehicle (EV) units per year. The company intends to make Indonesia a focus for the export market.
"Earlier this year, BKPM, which serves as our investment window, visited and they were quite satisfied with the progress, which is on track. We also received Minister Rosan at BYD headquarters, so we continue to ensure that BYD can comply with existing policies," said BYD Motor Indonesia President Director Eagle Zhao.