Indonesian Ambassador in Lebanon Yet to Confirm TNI Soldiers as Victims of Israeli Attack
REPUBLIKA.CO.ID, BEIRUT — Indonesia’s representation in Lebanon has stated that it cannot yet confirm reports of the death of TNI soldiers attached to the United Nations peacekeeping force (UNIFIL) due to Israeli military action in southern Lebanon on Monday (30/3/2026). The Indonesian Ambassador in Beirut, Dicky Komar, said they are still investigating the report to verify it. Dicky stated that the Indonesian embassy had only received confirmation of an explosion at the UNIFIL position near Adchit al-Qusayr. “For now, that’s the only information (received),” Dicky told Republika in Jakarta on Monday (30/3/2026). Dicky conveyed the report from UNIFIL to the Indonesian Embassy. “One peacekeeper was tragically killed last night when a projectile exploded at the UNIFIL position near Adchit al-Qusayr,” in the report received by Dicky. Another UNIFIL peacekeeper in the report also suffered critical injuries. However, the report did not specify the party, or military from which country, responsible for the attack. Nor did the report mention from which direction the projectile that hit the peacekeeping position came. “We do not know the origin of the projectile. We will conduct an investigation to determine all circumstances,” stated the UNIFIL report to the Indonesian Embassy. UNIFIL expressed its deepest condolences over the loss of the peacekeeping personnel’s lives. UNIFIL also emphasised that attacks on peacekeeping forces constitute a serious violation of humanitarian law or international law of war. The attack on UNIFIL violates UN Security Council Resolution 1701 on war crimes. “Deliberate attacks on peacekeepers constitute a serious violation of international humanitarian law, UN Security Council Resolutions, and can be described as war crimes,” the report stated. Lebanon’s National News Agency, al-Jadeed News, previously reported that Zionist Israeli occupation forces carried out an attack on a UN peacekeeping position in Adchit al-Qusayr in the Marjayoun District, southern Lebanon. That position is the base for UN peacekeeping forces from the Indonesian Garuda Contingent. Information received by Republika from Lebanon revealed that one TNI soldier died from the attack. Another personnel member is also reported to be in critical condition and is being treated at St George Hospital in Beirut. TNI Headquarters in Jakarta has not yet provided clarification on whether Indonesian soldiers were indeed killed in Lebanon this time. TNI Chief General Agus Subiyanto, as well as TNI Chief of Information Brigadier General Aulia Dwi Nasrullah, did not respond to Republika’s messages to confirm the report of the attack on TNI soldiers in the UN peacekeeping mission in Lebanon. Indonesia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs also provided no response. The southern Lebanon region, which directly borders the Zionist Israeli occupation in Palestinian territory, has long been a designated blue zone for UN Peacekeeping Force deployment. That area is now a new front in the Middle East war due to Zionist Israeli and United States aggression against the Islamic Republic of Iran. The war between Zionists-US and Iran has now lasted a full month since the opening aggression on 28 February 2026.