Immigration Directorate General Enforces New Photo and Interview Requirements for Foreign Residents' Stay Permit Extensions
The Directorate General of Immigration under the Ministry of Immigration and Corrections has enacted new regulations regarding stay permit extensions for foreign nationals in Indonesia.
Acting Director General of Immigration Yuldi Yusman explained that the new policy requiring photographs and interviews for foreign nationals is a strategic measure to curb potential misuse of stay permits in Indonesia. According to Yuldi, the policy also strengthens the national immigration system whilst tightening the roles and responsibilities of foreign national sponsors.
"We have conducted a comprehensive evaluation and found that the level of stay permit misuse remains high, compounded by many sponsors failing to fulfil their responsibilities. This cannot be tolerated," he said in a press statement on Wednesday (28/5/2025).
He added that in the first quarter of 2025, the Directorate General of Immigration, together with the Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM), conducted foreign investment operations and uncovered various suspicious practices. The results were quite serious: 546 foreign nationals were suspected of misusing their stay permits, and 215 fictitious and problematic companies were identified, with their business permits revoked by BKPM.
"We are not playing around. The state is here to ensure that every foreign national residing in Indonesia complies with the rules, and every sponsor bears full responsibility," Yuldi stressed.
He presented statistical data showing a significant increase in immigration administrative actions. From January to April 2024, there were 1,610 actions taken against foreign nationals, whilst in the same period in 2025, the figure rose to 2,201, an increase of 36.71 per cent.
Yuldi also noted that under Law Number 6 of 2011 on Immigration, Article 63 paragraph (2), sponsors are responsible for the presence and activities of the foreign nationals they sponsor during their stay in Indonesia. "Sponsors are obliged to report any changes in civil status, immigration status, and residential address of foreign nationals," he explained.
As a form of inclusive service, the Directorate General of Immigration provides walk-in service channels for vulnerable groups, such as the elderly, persons with disabilities, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and foreign nationals in emergency situations. "The entire process, from registration and photographs to interviews, can be conducted directly at immigration offices with officer assistance," he said.
Yuldi urged foreign nationals to provide accurate and complete information to immigration officers. "Provide truthful information to avoid any difficulties in future permit processing," he said.
Meanwhile, Minister of Immigration and Corrections Agus Andrianto affirmed that the new regulation is a strategic step to strengthen oversight of foreign nationals' activities in Indonesia. "This regulation also ensures that all immigration processes are conducted in accordance with prevailing legal provisions," he concluded.
The regulation is set out in Circular Letter Number IMI-417.GR.01.01 of 2025 and takes effect on 29 May 2025. Under the new rules, all foreign nationals wishing to extend their stay permits in Indonesia must undergo in-person photograph and interview processes at immigration offices. Previously, they were required to register online and upload supporting documents through the Directorate General of Immigration's official website. This procedure also applies to visa-on-arrival holders.
Acting Director General of Immigration Yuldi Yusman explained that the new policy requiring photographs and interviews for foreign nationals is a strategic measure to curb potential misuse of stay permits in Indonesia. According to Yuldi, the policy also strengthens the national immigration system whilst tightening the roles and responsibilities of foreign national sponsors.
"We have conducted a comprehensive evaluation and found that the level of stay permit misuse remains high, compounded by many sponsors failing to fulfil their responsibilities. This cannot be tolerated," he said in a press statement on Wednesday (28/5/2025).
He added that in the first quarter of 2025, the Directorate General of Immigration, together with the Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM), conducted foreign investment operations and uncovered various suspicious practices. The results were quite serious: 546 foreign nationals were suspected of misusing their stay permits, and 215 fictitious and problematic companies were identified, with their business permits revoked by BKPM.
"We are not playing around. The state is here to ensure that every foreign national residing in Indonesia complies with the rules, and every sponsor bears full responsibility," Yuldi stressed.
He presented statistical data showing a significant increase in immigration administrative actions. From January to April 2024, there were 1,610 actions taken against foreign nationals, whilst in the same period in 2025, the figure rose to 2,201, an increase of 36.71 per cent.
Yuldi also noted that under Law Number 6 of 2011 on Immigration, Article 63 paragraph (2), sponsors are responsible for the presence and activities of the foreign nationals they sponsor during their stay in Indonesia. "Sponsors are obliged to report any changes in civil status, immigration status, and residential address of foreign nationals," he explained.
As a form of inclusive service, the Directorate General of Immigration provides walk-in service channels for vulnerable groups, such as the elderly, persons with disabilities, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and foreign nationals in emergency situations. "The entire process, from registration and photographs to interviews, can be conducted directly at immigration offices with officer assistance," he said.
Yuldi urged foreign nationals to provide accurate and complete information to immigration officers. "Provide truthful information to avoid any difficulties in future permit processing," he said.
Meanwhile, Minister of Immigration and Corrections Agus Andrianto affirmed that the new regulation is a strategic step to strengthen oversight of foreign nationals' activities in Indonesia. "This regulation also ensures that all immigration processes are conducted in accordance with prevailing legal provisions," he concluded.
The regulation is set out in Circular Letter Number IMI-417.GR.01.01 of 2025 and takes effect on 29 May 2025. Under the new rules, all foreign nationals wishing to extend their stay permits in Indonesia must undergo in-person photograph and interview processes at immigration offices. Previously, they were required to register online and upload supporting documents through the Directorate General of Immigration's official website. This procedure also applies to visa-on-arrival holders.