Identity of Woman Found Dead with Gagged Mouth in Malang Revealed
Residents of Sukopuro Village, Jabung District, Malang Regency, East Java, were shocked by the discovery of an unidentified woman's body in the Jilu River. The body was found unclothed, with hands bound and mouth gagged. The victim has since been identified.
The victim was a 17-year-old girl from Nganjuk Regency who had previously been reported missing by her family. Her body was discovered by local residents on Tuesday (17 February 2026) in suspicious circumstances.
Malang Police Chief Senior Commissioner Muhammad Taat Resdi confirmed that the identification process was carried out through a series of scientific procedures. The Inafis team of the Malang Police Criminal Investigation Unit conducted forensic identification and DNA testing.
"We were able to confirm the victim's identity through DNA examination and data matching by the Inafis team of the Malang Police Criminal Investigation Unit. The victim is a 17-year-old female from Nganjuk," Muhammad Taat Resdi told reporters on Saturday (21 February 2026).
The victim's family had reported her missing after she was last seen meeting a friend in Malang City before becoming unreachable.
Taat stated that his office immediately formed a joint team to investigate the suspected murder case. The Malang Police Criminal Investigation Unit is collaborating with the Mobile Brigade of the National Criminal Investigation Agency (Bareskrim Polri) and the East Java Regional Police's Violent Crime Unit (Jatanras) in conducting an intensive investigation.
The Bareskrim Polri Mobile Brigade team, led directly by its head Commissioner Teuku Arsya Khadafi, has been deployed to assist with the field investigation. The East Java Regional Police Jatanras team, under the command of Senior Commissioner Arbaridi Jumhur, is also strengthening the case resolution efforts.
Meanwhile, technical handling at the crime scene was coordinated by Malang Police Criminal Investigation Unit Head Inspector Hafiz Prasetia Akbar. The victim identification process was carried out to ensure the investigation proceeded optimally.
"This case is receiving serious attention. We are working together with the joint team from Bareskrim Polri's Mobile Brigade and East Java Regional Police's Jatanras to uncover the perpetrators and ensure the legal process is completed thoroughly," he said.
The joint team comprising Malang Police, East Java Regional Police, and Bareskrim Polri is reportedly still working in the field to identify the perpetrators. The victim is suspected to have been murdered.
"We are ensuring the investigation proceeds optimally. The joint team is currently continuing to gather evidence and pursue the perpetrators. We are committed to resolving this case," Taat concluded.
The victim was a 17-year-old girl from Nganjuk Regency who had previously been reported missing by her family. Her body was discovered by local residents on Tuesday (17 February 2026) in suspicious circumstances.
Malang Police Chief Senior Commissioner Muhammad Taat Resdi confirmed that the identification process was carried out through a series of scientific procedures. The Inafis team of the Malang Police Criminal Investigation Unit conducted forensic identification and DNA testing.
"We were able to confirm the victim's identity through DNA examination and data matching by the Inafis team of the Malang Police Criminal Investigation Unit. The victim is a 17-year-old female from Nganjuk," Muhammad Taat Resdi told reporters on Saturday (21 February 2026).
The victim's family had reported her missing after she was last seen meeting a friend in Malang City before becoming unreachable.
Taat stated that his office immediately formed a joint team to investigate the suspected murder case. The Malang Police Criminal Investigation Unit is collaborating with the Mobile Brigade of the National Criminal Investigation Agency (Bareskrim Polri) and the East Java Regional Police's Violent Crime Unit (Jatanras) in conducting an intensive investigation.
The Bareskrim Polri Mobile Brigade team, led directly by its head Commissioner Teuku Arsya Khadafi, has been deployed to assist with the field investigation. The East Java Regional Police Jatanras team, under the command of Senior Commissioner Arbaridi Jumhur, is also strengthening the case resolution efforts.
Meanwhile, technical handling at the crime scene was coordinated by Malang Police Criminal Investigation Unit Head Inspector Hafiz Prasetia Akbar. The victim identification process was carried out to ensure the investigation proceeded optimally.
"This case is receiving serious attention. We are working together with the joint team from Bareskrim Polri's Mobile Brigade and East Java Regional Police's Jatanras to uncover the perpetrators and ensure the legal process is completed thoroughly," he said.
The joint team comprising Malang Police, East Java Regional Police, and Bareskrim Polri is reportedly still working in the field to identify the perpetrators. The victim is suspected to have been murdered.
"We are ensuring the investigation proceeds optimally. The joint team is currently continuing to gather evidence and pursue the perpetrators. We are committed to resolving this case," Taat concluded.