High Interest: 490 Karangasem Residents Set to Depart for Overseas Work in Early 2026
As many as 490 residents of Karangasem Regency are recorded to depart for overseas work throughout January to March 2026. Among that number, 17 individuals are working in the Middle East region, such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and the United Arab Emirates.
The Head of the Manpower and Transmigration Office (Disnakertrans) of Karangasem, I Ketut Mertadina, stated that the interest among residents to work abroad remains high. Karangasem even holds the second highest position in Bali after Buleleng Regency.
“Last year, the number of Karangasem residents working abroad exceeded 1,200 people, meaning the public’s interest is quite high,” said Mertadina on Thursday (16/4/2026).
He detailed that in January 2026, 50 people departed, in February 160 people, and in March it increased to 280 people. This trend shows an increase each month.
Hundreds of these migrant workers come from all sub-districts in Karangasem. They work in various sectors, from cruise ships to land-based jobs such as spas, agriculture, and plantations.
“For now, the country most sought after by Karangasem residents is Bulgaria. In addition, countries like Turkey, Japan, Italy, and Poland also still have considerable interest,” said Mertadina.
He hopes that all Karangasem residents planning to work abroad will complete all necessary requirements and conduct thorough checks on the agents dispatching them. This is to prevent problems that may arise later upon arrival in the destination country.
“We also emphasise to residents working abroad to always note down important numbers at the embassy. So that if something happens, they can seek assistance immediately,” said Mertadina.
Regarding the situation in the Middle East region that was once heated, Mertadina assured that Karangasem residents working in that area are in safe condition.