Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Government Urged to Tighten Oversight of Daycares Following Child Abuse Case in Yogyakarta

| | Source: KOMPAS Translated from Indonesian | Social Policy
Government Urged to Tighten Oversight of Daycares Following Child Abuse Case in Yogyakarta
Image: KOMPAS

The government has been urged to tighten standard operating procedures (SOP) and oversight of childcare facilities or daycares in Indonesia. This call was made by DPR Commission IX member Arzeti Bilbina following a child abuse case at a daycare in Umbulharjo, Yogyakarta. “The state must be present to ensure maximum protection for children from all forms of violence,” Arzeti stressed in her statement on Monday (27/4/2026). “This is our collective responsibility to ensure that every place entrusted with caring for children is a safe, healthy, and loving environment,” she said. Furthermore, she demanded the operational closure of Daycare Little Aresha if it is proven to have committed violence against children. “We strongly condemn the violent treatment at the Yogyakarta daycare. This is an inhumane act and a crime that cannot be tolerated at all. The perpetrators must face firm sanctions, including the revocation of the facility’s operating permit to prevent any more victims in the future,” Arzeti stated. She requested that the police thoroughly, transparently, and uncompromisingly investigate the child abuse case. In addition, she advocated for support for the child victims and their parents. “Intensive support from professionals, such as psychologists or child counsellors, is absolutely necessary to help the children recover from their trauma. The role of parents is also crucial in restoring the child’s sense of security after this tragic incident,” Arzeti said. Previously, 53 children were suspected of experiencing physical violence and inhumane treatment at Daycare Little Aresha in Umbulharjo, Yogyakarta. Police have named 13 individuals as suspects and immediately detained them. The suspects were named after the Yogyakarta Police Resort held a case assembly on Saturday night (25/4/2026), following a raid at the location. “Certainly, 13 people have been named as suspects, from the school principal, foundation chair, to the caregivers at the location. This could develop further, depending on the development process and additional statements from the suspects,” said Ihsan on Sunday (26/4/2026).

View JSON | Print