Government Revokes Mining Permits for Four Companies in Raja Ampat
The government has finally taken action regarding environmental violations in the Raja Ampat region, with several companies operating in the area now identified as offenders.
Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM) Bahlil Lahadalia stated that environmental violations had been committed by four mining companies in Raja Ampat, Papua. The violations were discovered after Bahlil personally inspected the mining operations in Raja Ampat alongside local government officials.
"There were several environmental violations. Taking into account the findings on the ground and input from the governor and regent, they want their region to progress," said Bahlil at a press conference at the Presidential Palace Complex, Jakarta, on Tuesday (10/6/2025).
The revocation of the mining business permits was also in accordance with a decision by President Prabowo Subianto during a limited cabinet meeting on Monday (9/6/2025).
"In response to those aspirations, the President decided, having considered all the evidence, to revoke the permits of four companies outside Gag Island," he said.
Bahlil affirmed that from today the government had officially revoked the permits of the four companies. "I immediately took technical steps together with the Ministry of Environment and Forestry to carry out the revocations. As of today, the government has revoked the permits of four companies in Raja Ampat," he said.
Previously, mining activities in Raja Ampat, particularly on Gag Island, had drawn public scrutiny. Various parties opposed the mining operations on Gag Island over concerns that they would damage the environment and natural ecosystems in the Cendrawasih region.
Criticism came from members of the public, activists, experts, and a number of members of the House of Representatives (DPR RI). Greenpeace Indonesia urged that mining permits in Raja Ampat should be revoked, arguing that merely summoning the miners was insufficient.
"This is certainly a positive step, but we need something more concrete, such as the revocation of nickel mining permits there," said Greenpeace Indonesia forest campaigner Iqbal Damanik, when contacted on Thursday (5/6/2025).
Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM) Bahlil Lahadalia stated that environmental violations had been committed by four mining companies in Raja Ampat, Papua. The violations were discovered after Bahlil personally inspected the mining operations in Raja Ampat alongside local government officials.
"There were several environmental violations. Taking into account the findings on the ground and input from the governor and regent, they want their region to progress," said Bahlil at a press conference at the Presidential Palace Complex, Jakarta, on Tuesday (10/6/2025).
The revocation of the mining business permits was also in accordance with a decision by President Prabowo Subianto during a limited cabinet meeting on Monday (9/6/2025).
"In response to those aspirations, the President decided, having considered all the evidence, to revoke the permits of four companies outside Gag Island," he said.
Bahlil affirmed that from today the government had officially revoked the permits of the four companies. "I immediately took technical steps together with the Ministry of Environment and Forestry to carry out the revocations. As of today, the government has revoked the permits of four companies in Raja Ampat," he said.
Previously, mining activities in Raja Ampat, particularly on Gag Island, had drawn public scrutiny. Various parties opposed the mining operations on Gag Island over concerns that they would damage the environment and natural ecosystems in the Cendrawasih region.
Criticism came from members of the public, activists, experts, and a number of members of the House of Representatives (DPR RI). Greenpeace Indonesia urged that mining permits in Raja Ampat should be revoked, arguing that merely summoning the miners was insufficient.
"This is certainly a positive step, but we need something more concrete, such as the revocation of nickel mining permits there," said Greenpeace Indonesia forest campaigner Iqbal Damanik, when contacted on Thursday (5/6/2025).