Friday Morning Floods Over One Metre Submerge Kebon Pala in East Jakarta
Jakarta (ANTARA) - Residential areas in Kebon Pala, Kampung Melayu, East Jakarta (Jaktim), were submerged by flooding on Friday morning, with water levels reaching approximately 100-110 centimetres (cm), or over one metre.
“This morning, at 06.00 WIB, the water has now reached about one metre, it has been rising continuously since the early hours,” said Sanusi, Head of RT 13/RW 04 Kampung Melayu, when contacted in Jakarta on Friday.
Sanusi stated that the flooding was triggered by rainfall that occurred since Thursday (16/4) night. Water levels continued to increase into the morning, submerging residents’ homes in the low-lying area.
Sanusi mentioned that rain with fairly high intensity has frequently fallen almost every day in recent times, particularly in the afternoon to evening.
“The water started rising around 2 a.m., probably due to yesterday’s rain. Indeed, it rains almost every day, usually in the afternoon,” said Sanusi.
According to him, flooding in the Kebon Pala area has been recurring in recent days.
The ongoing rainfall pattern makes it difficult for water to recede optimally, causing it to rise again when heavy rain falls.
However, even though water levels have reached one metre, residents are still holding out in their respective homes and none have evacuated as of now. Sanusi assured that the situation remains safe and under control.
“No one has evacuated yet, they are still holding out on the second floor, it’s still safe,” said Sanusi.
Previously, the Jakarta Regional Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD DKI Jakarta) issued an early warning for potential tidal flooding expected to occur from 17 to 23 April 2026 in several northern coastal areas of Jakarta.
The potential for tidal flooding is triggered by the new moon phase on 17 April and perigee on 19 April 2026, which could increase the maximum sea level height.
As a precautionary measure, BPBD DKI has prepared the 112 emergency service, which can be contacted by the public in case of emergencies.
The public can also monitor developments of the early tidal surge warning through BPBD DKI’s official channels and the flood monitoring website of the DKI Jakarta Provincial Government.