Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Foreign Minister Sugiono: Indonesia Has Not Yet Paid Board of Peace Dues

| Source: TEMPO_ID | Politics
Foreign Minister Sugiono has confirmed that Indonesia has not yet paid the US$1 billion contribution — approximately Rp16.7 trillion — to the Board of Peace. Sugiono stressed that the contribution is not a condition for membership of the body that oversees the International Stabilisation Force (ISF).

According to Sugiono, the US$1 billion fee is not compulsory. "From the outset, I have said this is not a membership fee. It is not a membership requirement. We are already a member of the Board of Peace, so not paying is not a problem," Sugiono said in an online press briefing on Saturday, 21 February 2026.

The Gerindra Party secretary-general also confirmed that Indonesia has not yet paid the contribution but said this does not mean Indonesia is not a member of the Board of Peace. "It does not follow that because we have not yet paid, we are no longer a member of the Board of Peace. Understood?" he said.

Sugiono added that Indonesia has also not yet contributed money to the Board of Peace for the reconstruction of Gaza, the value of which was announced by United States President Donald Trump at the Board of Peace's inaugural meeting. However, Sugiono said Indonesia is contributing in the form of troops.

Indonesia has committed to sending 8,000 soldiers to the Gaza Strip, more than any other country involved in the ISF. "Some contribute money, others contribute troops," Sugiono said.

The total combined force for the Gaza mission is estimated at around 20,000 soldiers. The plan to deploy the combined ISF force to the Gaza Strip was previously announced at the Board of Peace's inaugural meeting.

The conference took place in Washington D.C., United States, and was attended by leaders of member states, including President Prabowo Subianto. The meeting was also attended by Ali Shaath, chairman of the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG).

Nickolay Mladenov, Director-General of the Board of Peace, said that the reconstruction of Gaza depends on disarmament. "There is no option other than full demilitarisation and the disarming of all weapons in Gaza so that reconstruction can begin and the Palestinian people can have a new way of life going forward," Mladenov said.

Hamas, the armed group in the Gaza Strip, has said the Palestinian movement will not surrender its weapons or accept foreign intervention in Gaza. They have rejected US and Israeli demands.

"Criminalising the resistance, its weapons, and those who carry it out is something that must not be accepted," said Khaled Meshaal, a senior Hamas leader, at a conference in Doha as reported by Al Arabiya on Monday, 9 February 2026.
View JSON | Print