Foreign Minister Reveals Why Indonesia Was Named Deputy Commander of ISF in Gaza
Foreign Minister Sugiono has revealed the reasons behind Indonesia's appointment as deputy commander of the International Stabilization Force (ISF) in the Gaza Strip. Indonesia was previously designated by the Board of Peace as deputy commander for the mission in the Palestinian territory, whilst the United States holds the commander position.
Indonesia has committed to deploying 8,000 troops to the Gaza Strip, more than any other country involved in the ISF. Sugiono noted that the nation contributing the largest number of troops is typically given the mandate to serve as commander in a joint force.
However, Sugiono explained that the commander position for the Gaza mission is already held by the United States. Indonesia has been given the position of deputy commander for operations, one of three deputy commander roles within the ISF.
"Because Indonesia's contingent is also the largest there, the deputy commander for operations position is also something that represents respect and recognition of Indonesia's track record," Sugiono said during an online press briefing on Saturday, 21 February 2026.
Furthermore, Sugiono claimed that the Indonesian National Armed Forces' (TNI) track record also contributed to Indonesia's appointment as ISF deputy commander. "Then there is the reputation of Indonesian soldiers across various peacekeeping theatres," he added.
Sugiono assessed that the strategic position within the ISF could enable Indonesia to make a greater contribution to the welfare of the Palestinian people. "I believe this position will also facilitate what has become our objective and intention in deploying troops to the ISF," said the Gerindra Party Secretary General.
The plan to deploy the ISF joint force to the Gaza Strip was previously announced during the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace. The conference took place in Washington D.C., United States, and was attended by leaders of member nations, including President Prabowo Subianto. The meeting was also attended by the Chairman of the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG), Ali Shaath.
Nickolay Mladenov, Director General of the Board of Peace, stated that Gaza's reconstruction depends on disarmament. "There is no alternative but full demilitarisation and the disarming of all weapons in Gaza so that reconstruction can begin and the Palestinian people can have a new way of life going forward," Mladenov said.
Hamas, the armed group in the Gaza Strip, has stated that the Palestinian movement will not surrender its weapons or accept foreign intervention in Gaza. They have rejected the demands of the US and Israel.
"Criminalising resistance, its weapons, and those who carry it out is something that must not be accepted," said Khaled Meshaal, a senior Hamas leader, at a conference in Doha, as reported by Al Arabiya on Monday, 9 February 2026.
Indonesia has committed to deploying 8,000 troops to the Gaza Strip, more than any other country involved in the ISF. Sugiono noted that the nation contributing the largest number of troops is typically given the mandate to serve as commander in a joint force.
However, Sugiono explained that the commander position for the Gaza mission is already held by the United States. Indonesia has been given the position of deputy commander for operations, one of three deputy commander roles within the ISF.
"Because Indonesia's contingent is also the largest there, the deputy commander for operations position is also something that represents respect and recognition of Indonesia's track record," Sugiono said during an online press briefing on Saturday, 21 February 2026.
Furthermore, Sugiono claimed that the Indonesian National Armed Forces' (TNI) track record also contributed to Indonesia's appointment as ISF deputy commander. "Then there is the reputation of Indonesian soldiers across various peacekeeping theatres," he added.
Sugiono assessed that the strategic position within the ISF could enable Indonesia to make a greater contribution to the welfare of the Palestinian people. "I believe this position will also facilitate what has become our objective and intention in deploying troops to the ISF," said the Gerindra Party Secretary General.
The plan to deploy the ISF joint force to the Gaza Strip was previously announced during the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace. The conference took place in Washington D.C., United States, and was attended by leaders of member nations, including President Prabowo Subianto. The meeting was also attended by the Chairman of the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG), Ali Shaath.
Nickolay Mladenov, Director General of the Board of Peace, stated that Gaza's reconstruction depends on disarmament. "There is no alternative but full demilitarisation and the disarming of all weapons in Gaza so that reconstruction can begin and the Palestinian people can have a new way of life going forward," Mladenov said.
Hamas, the armed group in the Gaza Strip, has stated that the Palestinian movement will not surrender its weapons or accept foreign intervention in Gaza. They have rejected the demands of the US and Israel.
"Criminalising resistance, its weapons, and those who carry it out is something that must not be accepted," said Khaled Meshaal, a senior Hamas leader, at a conference in Doha, as reported by Al Arabiya on Monday, 9 February 2026.