Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Foreign Minister: Palestine Understands Indonesia's Role in Gaza Strip Force

| Source: TEMPO_ID | Politics
Foreign Minister Sugiono has claimed that authorities in the Gaza Strip understand the reasons behind Indonesia's involvement in the International Stabilisation Force (ISF). The multinational force, led by the United States, will deploy at least 20,000 troops to the Gaza Strip.

According to Sugiono, Indonesia's involvement is known to the Chairman of the National Committee for Administration of Gaza (NCAG), Ali Shaath. Sugiono said Shaath was present at the Board of Peace meeting that announced the ISF mission in Palestinian territory. "Palestine was already there at the Board of Peace meeting — they knew, they understood," Sugiono said in an online press statement on Saturday, 21 February 2026.

Sugiono considered Shaath's presence to mean that all interested parties were already involved in the dispatch of the peacekeeping mission to the Gaza Strip. Indonesia, he said, had also communicated its limitations — namely that its troops would not participate in the disarmament or demilitarisation of armed groups in Gaza.

Sugiono said the ISF would ensure a stable ceasefire between all parties in Israel and Palestine. "Create a safe and stable environment first, then the subsequent stages can be carried out," he said.

According to Sugiono, Indonesian troops would likely be stationed in Rafah, the southernmost area of the Gaza Strip bordering Egypt. However, he noted that the details of the peacekeeping mission would be discussed further by the ISF.

Indonesia has committed to sending 8,000 troops to the Gaza Strip — more than any other country involved in the ISF. The total combined force for the Gaza mission is estimated at around 20,000 troops.

The plan to deploy the ISF to the Gaza Strip was previously announced at the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace. The conference took place in Washington D.C., United States, and was attended by leaders of member nations, including President Prabowo Subianto. The meeting was also attended by NCAG Chairman Ali Shaath.

Nickolay Mladenov, Director-General of the Board of Peace, said that the reconstruction of Gaza depended on disarmament. "There is no other option but full demilitarisation and the disarming of all weapons in Gaza so that reconstruction can begin and the Palestinian people can have a new way of life going forward," Mladenov said.

Hamas, the armed group in the Gaza Strip, has stated that the Palestinian movement would not surrender its weapons or accept foreign intervention in Gaza. They rejected the demands of the US and Israel.

"Criminalising the resistance, its weapons, and those who carry it out is something that must not be accepted," said Khaled Meshaal, a senior Hamas leader, at a conference in Doha, as reported by Al Arabiya on Monday, 9 February 2026.
View JSON | Print