Foreign Minister: Indonesian Forces in Gaza Will Only Defend Themselves if Attacked
Foreign Minister Sugiono has stated that Indonesia's involvement in the International Stabilisation Force (ISF) is not intended for military operations in the Gaza Strip. According to Sugiono, Indonesian forces are deploying to Gaza with no intention of engaging in armed conflict.
Sugiono said Indonesian troops would only defend themselves if attacked whilst in the Gaza Strip. He noted that this principle falls within the rules of engagement governing military involvement.
"Naturally, there are matters relating to the Rules of Engagement, which allow us as a force to act in self-defence if attacked," Sugiono said in an online press briefing on Saturday, 21 February 2026.
Sugiono added that Indonesia would not be involved in efforts to disarm armed groups in the Gaza Strip. Indonesia, he claimed, is only participating in humanitarian efforts. "Indonesia's involvement in the ISF, the contribution of Indonesian forces, is not for conducting demilitarisation activities or military operations," he said.
Sugiono stated that Indonesian military personnel would protect Palestinian and Israeli civilians. "What we are doing is safeguarding civilian populations on both sides," said the Gerindra Party Secretary-General.
Indonesia has committed to sending 8,000 troops to the Gaza Strip, more than any other country involved in the ISF. The total combined force for the Gaza mission is estimated to reach approximately 20,000 troops.
The plan to deploy the combined ISF forces to Gaza was previously announced at the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace. The conference took place in Washington D.C., United States, and was attended by member state leaders, including President Prabowo Subianto. The meeting was also attended by Ali Shaath, Chairman of the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG).
Nickolay Mladenov, Director-General of the Board of Peace, said that Gaza's reconstruction depends on disarmament. "There is no alternative but full demilitarisation and the disarming of all weapons in Gaza so that reconstruction can begin and the Palestinian people can have a new way of life going forward," Mladenov said.
Hamas, the armed group in the Gaza Strip, has stated that the Palestinian movement will not surrender its weapons or accept foreign intervention in Gaza. They have rejected US and Israeli demands.
"Criminalising the resistance, its weapons, and those who carry it out is something that must not be accepted," said Khaled Meshaal, a senior Hamas leader, at a conference in Doha, as reported by Al Arabiya on Monday, 9 February 2026.
Sugiono said Indonesian troops would only defend themselves if attacked whilst in the Gaza Strip. He noted that this principle falls within the rules of engagement governing military involvement.
"Naturally, there are matters relating to the Rules of Engagement, which allow us as a force to act in self-defence if attacked," Sugiono said in an online press briefing on Saturday, 21 February 2026.
Sugiono added that Indonesia would not be involved in efforts to disarm armed groups in the Gaza Strip. Indonesia, he claimed, is only participating in humanitarian efforts. "Indonesia's involvement in the ISF, the contribution of Indonesian forces, is not for conducting demilitarisation activities or military operations," he said.
Sugiono stated that Indonesian military personnel would protect Palestinian and Israeli civilians. "What we are doing is safeguarding civilian populations on both sides," said the Gerindra Party Secretary-General.
Indonesia has committed to sending 8,000 troops to the Gaza Strip, more than any other country involved in the ISF. The total combined force for the Gaza mission is estimated to reach approximately 20,000 troops.
The plan to deploy the combined ISF forces to Gaza was previously announced at the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace. The conference took place in Washington D.C., United States, and was attended by member state leaders, including President Prabowo Subianto. The meeting was also attended by Ali Shaath, Chairman of the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG).
Nickolay Mladenov, Director-General of the Board of Peace, said that Gaza's reconstruction depends on disarmament. "There is no alternative but full demilitarisation and the disarming of all weapons in Gaza so that reconstruction can begin and the Palestinian people can have a new way of life going forward," Mladenov said.
Hamas, the armed group in the Gaza Strip, has stated that the Palestinian movement will not surrender its weapons or accept foreign intervention in Gaza. They have rejected US and Israeli demands.
"Criminalising the resistance, its weapons, and those who carry it out is something that must not be accepted," said Khaled Meshaal, a senior Hamas leader, at a conference in Doha, as reported by Al Arabiya on Monday, 9 February 2026.