Diploma Challenged Again, Jokowi Remains Unfazed
A lawyer from Klaten, Sigit Pratomo, has sued the seventh President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) at the Solo District Court regarding his diploma. Jokowi’s side has responded to the lawsuit.
According to detikJateng on Tuesday (5/5/2026), Sigit is suing Jokowi for allegedly acting unlawfully. Sigit stated that Jokowi has never attended the hearings against him and has never shown his original diploma.
Jokowi’s legal counsel, YB Irpan, has spoken out. Irpan emphasised that Jokowi has not acted unlawfully.
“In the rulings that have been examined and adjudicated so far, whether filed by Bambang Tri at the Central Jakarta District Court or by Muhammad Taufiq, Top Taufan, and Bangun Sutoto, there is absolutely no court order punishing or directing Mr Jokowi to show his Faculty of Forestry UGM diploma to the public; that does not exist,” Irpan said at the Solo District Court.
He assessed that the plaintiff has no legal basis to sue Jokowi. Irpan said Jokowi is aware of the lawsuit and is responding to it calmly.
“Mr Jokowi’s response to this matter is quite flat,” he said.
Irpan also considered the content of the lawsuit to be polite. He mentioned that there are no allegations attacking Jokowi’s honour.
“In the formulation of the lawsuit, it appears polite. So there is no allegation in the lawsuit that attacks Mr Jokowi’s personal honour, unlike previous lawsuits. We are also responding in a humane tone and attitude,” he stated.
The plaintiff’s legal counsel, Dekka Ajeng Maharasri, said her side does not yet know if Jokowi’s diploma is genuine. Her side only acknowledges that Jokowi is an alumnus of UGM.
“In principle, our lawsuit does not recognise Mr Jokowi’s diploma as genuine, but we want Mr Jokowi to attend the hearing and show the diploma. Regarding whether Mr Jokowi’s diploma is genuine or not, only the person concerned knows,” Ajeng said.