Defence Expert Welcomes New Immigration Rules on Foreign Resident Permit Extensions
Political defence and security expert from the Institute for Security and Strategic Studies (ISESS), Khairul Fahmi, has welcomed new regulations on residence permit extensions for foreign nationals issued by the Directorate General of Immigration. He considers the policy a reaffirmation of the Directorate General's strategic role as the front line of non-conventional defence, particularly in migration control that directly impacts national security and diplomatic relations.
"This is a step forward, because threats to sovereignty now come more from illegal migration infiltration, fictitious foreign businesses, and data and technology exploitation, rather than military invasion," he told INDOPOSCO.ID on Thursday (29/5/2025).
Fahmi also expressed appreciation for joint operations with the Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM) that uncovered hundreds of violations and fictitious companies. "This is proof that oversight of strategic migration is now under strict state surveillance," he said.
He explained that the policy sends a firm signal to the international community that Indonesia is serious about protecting its sovereignty from the misuse of residence permits by foreign parties. "Indonesia refuses to become a haven for law violators and foreign actors exploiting administrative loopholes to the detriment of the state, especially amid global competition and threats from non-state actors in economics, intelligence, and transnational crime," he stressed.
"However, this strategic message must be supported by appropriate public diplomacy," he added. Law enforcement against foreign nationals must also be accompanied by reforms to the local guarantor system. Many violations occur due to laxity or manipulation by domestic parties acting as guarantors. "Therefore, immigration as an instrument of national defence must take firm action against domestic actors who facilitate these violations," he said.
Furthermore, Fahmi noted that this requires a stronger legal and policy framework. He argued that the current Immigration Law has not been fully designed to address complex and asymmetric forms of non-conventional threats. "The Directorate General of Immigration is the spearhead, but without visionary regulations and inter-agency synergy, maximum and sustainable potential will be difficult to achieve," he said.
Previously, Acting Director General of Immigration Yuldi Yusman explained that the new policy requiring photographs and interviews for foreign nationals is a strategic step to control potential misuse of residence permits in Indonesia. According to Yuldi, the policy also strengthens the national immigration system whilst tightening the roles and responsibilities of foreign national guarantors.
"We have conducted a comprehensive evaluation and found that the level of residence permit misuse remains high, compounded by many guarantors failing to fulfil their responsibilities. This cannot be allowed to continue," he said in a press statement on Wednesday (28/5/2025).
He added that in the first quarter of 2025, the Directorate General of Immigration together with BKPM conducted foreign investment operations (OPS PMA) and uncovered various suspicious practices. The results were quite serious: 546 foreign nationals were suspected of misusing residence permits, and 215 fictitious and problematic companies were identified and had their business permits revoked by BKPM.
"We are not playing around. The state is present to ensure every foreign national residing in Indonesia complies with regulations, and every guarantor bears full responsibility," Yuldi affirmed.
Meanwhile, Minister of Immigration and Corrections Agus Andrianto emphasised that the new regulations are a strategic step to strengthen oversight of foreign nationals' activities in Indonesia. "These regulations also ensure that all immigration processes are conducted in accordance with prevailing legal provisions," he concluded.
"This is a step forward, because threats to sovereignty now come more from illegal migration infiltration, fictitious foreign businesses, and data and technology exploitation, rather than military invasion," he told INDOPOSCO.ID on Thursday (29/5/2025).
Fahmi also expressed appreciation for joint operations with the Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM) that uncovered hundreds of violations and fictitious companies. "This is proof that oversight of strategic migration is now under strict state surveillance," he said.
He explained that the policy sends a firm signal to the international community that Indonesia is serious about protecting its sovereignty from the misuse of residence permits by foreign parties. "Indonesia refuses to become a haven for law violators and foreign actors exploiting administrative loopholes to the detriment of the state, especially amid global competition and threats from non-state actors in economics, intelligence, and transnational crime," he stressed.
"However, this strategic message must be supported by appropriate public diplomacy," he added. Law enforcement against foreign nationals must also be accompanied by reforms to the local guarantor system. Many violations occur due to laxity or manipulation by domestic parties acting as guarantors. "Therefore, immigration as an instrument of national defence must take firm action against domestic actors who facilitate these violations," he said.
Furthermore, Fahmi noted that this requires a stronger legal and policy framework. He argued that the current Immigration Law has not been fully designed to address complex and asymmetric forms of non-conventional threats. "The Directorate General of Immigration is the spearhead, but without visionary regulations and inter-agency synergy, maximum and sustainable potential will be difficult to achieve," he said.
Previously, Acting Director General of Immigration Yuldi Yusman explained that the new policy requiring photographs and interviews for foreign nationals is a strategic step to control potential misuse of residence permits in Indonesia. According to Yuldi, the policy also strengthens the national immigration system whilst tightening the roles and responsibilities of foreign national guarantors.
"We have conducted a comprehensive evaluation and found that the level of residence permit misuse remains high, compounded by many guarantors failing to fulfil their responsibilities. This cannot be allowed to continue," he said in a press statement on Wednesday (28/5/2025).
He added that in the first quarter of 2025, the Directorate General of Immigration together with BKPM conducted foreign investment operations (OPS PMA) and uncovered various suspicious practices. The results were quite serious: 546 foreign nationals were suspected of misusing residence permits, and 215 fictitious and problematic companies were identified and had their business permits revoked by BKPM.
"We are not playing around. The state is present to ensure every foreign national residing in Indonesia complies with regulations, and every guarantor bears full responsibility," Yuldi affirmed.
Meanwhile, Minister of Immigration and Corrections Agus Andrianto emphasised that the new regulations are a strategic step to strengthen oversight of foreign nationals' activities in Indonesia. "These regulations also ensure that all immigration processes are conducted in accordance with prevailing legal provisions," he concluded.