Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Criminal Investigation Bureau Says Former Bima Police Chief Received Funds from Two Drug Kingpins

| Source: CNN_ID | Legal
The former police chief of Bima City, Didik Putra Kuncoro, allegedly received illicit funds from drug trafficking proceeds from two different kingpins, according to the National Police's Criminal Investigation Bureau (Bareskrim).

Deputy Director III of Bareskrim's Narcotics Crime Directorate, Commissioner Zulkarnain Harahap, explained that Didik, together with former Bima City Police Narcotics Unit Head AKP Malaungi, initially received payments from a kingpin identified as 'B'.

Zulkarnain said the pair received cash payments of Rp400 million per month, with Rp300 million allocated to Didik and the remainder going to Malaungi.

"Starting from June, the narcotics unit head collected money from the kingpin known as B. Each month it was around Rp400 million — the unit head received Rp100 million and the police chief received Rp300 million," Zulkarnain said on Saturday (21 February).

Zulkarnain stated that the payments continued until the total reached Rp1.8 billion. The payments from kingpin B ceased after the dealer claimed he could no longer afford them.

Subsequently, Malaungi sought out another kingpin and connected with a network led by an individual known as Koh Erwin (KE). According to Zulkarnain, the KE network agreed to provide Rp1 billion in funds.

"He [Malaungi] sought new funding [a new kingpin] named Koh Erwin. Koh Erwin agreed to Rp1 billion, with a shortfall of Rp700 million or so," he explained.

Zulkarnain added that all the money was handed over by Malaungi in stages across three transactions. He detailed that Rp1.4 billion was concealed in a suitcase, Rp450 million was wrapped in paper bags, and Rp1 billion was packed in beer cartons.

"The Rp1.8 billion was indeed given in cash and subsequently deposited into bank accounts. In addition, Rp1 billion was transferred using bank account numbers registered under other people's names," he explained.

Furthermore, Zulkarnain said the authorities have now engaged the Financial Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (PPATK) to trace the flow of funds received by this network.

Previously, Bareskrim had named former Bima City police chief AKBP Didik Putra as a suspect in drug abuse. Didik was found culpable for possessing a white suitcase containing narcotics that had been entrusted to Constable First Class Dianita in Tangerang, Banten.

The drug evidence seized comprised 16.3 grammes of methamphetamine, 49 ecstasy tablets and 2 partially consumed tablets (23.5 grammes), 19 Alprazolam tablets, 2 Happy Five tablets, and 5 grammes of ketamine.

Didik also tested positive for drug consumption based on hair follicle drug test results conducted in a laboratory. Beyond this case, he was also named a suspect for receiving proceeds of narcotics crime by the West Nusa Tenggara Regional Police on Monday (16 February).

Didik has since been dishonourably discharged from the Indonesian National Police and is currently detained at the Bareskrim detention facility.
View JSON | Print