Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

China responds to Trump, stresses that sovereignty must be respected in Hormuz

| Source: ANTARA_ID Translated from Indonesian | Politics
China responds to Trump, stresses that sovereignty must be respected in Hormuz
Image: ANTARA_ID

Beijing (ANTARA) - The Chinese government has stressed that national sovereignty must continue to be respected after US President Donald Trump stated that he would temporarily halt operations to guide ships out of the Strait of Hormuz.

“The situation in the Strait of Hormuz remains tense. Only through an early and complete ceasefire can the conditions necessary for de-escalation be created. The sovereignty, security, and territorial integrity of coastal states must be respected,” said spokesperson for the Chinese Foreign Ministry Lin Jian at a press conference in Beijing on Wednesday.

US President Donald Trump stated on Tuesday (5/5) that “Project Freedom,” the US military operation aimed at guiding ships out of the Strait of Hormuz, would be temporarily suspended to see if a peace agreement could be reached between Washington and Tehran.

“Although the blockade will remain fully in place, Project Freedom (Ship Movement Across the Strait of Hormuz) will be suspended for a limited time to see if an agreement can be finalised and signed,” Trump wrote on the social media platform Truth Social.

Trump explained that the decision was based on requests from Pakistan and other countries, as well as significant progress towards a comprehensive and final agreement with Iranian representatives.

“Legitimate concerns from regional countries must be taken seriously, and the legitimate interests of the international community must be protected,” added Lin Jian.

Lin Jian reiterated that China’s position on the situation in the Strait of Hormuz is clear.

“We hope that the relevant parties will act prudently, avoid further escalation, resolve disputes through dialogue, and promptly restore peace and stability in the Strait of Hormuz. China will continue to work to ease the situation there,” stated Lin Jian.

On Wednesday, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi also met with Iranian Foreign Minister Seyyed Abbas Araghchi in Beijing. In those talks, Lin Jian said China supports Iran in safeguarding its sovereignty and national security and commended Iran’s willingness to seek a political resolution through diplomatic channels.

“China advocates that Gulf and Middle Eastern countries should take their own destiny into their hands. We encourage Iran to engage in dialogue with more Gulf countries to achieve good neighbourly relations and friendship,” added Lin Jian.

The meeting between the two foreign ministers comes less than two weeks before the planned meeting between President Xi Jinping and President Donald Trump in Beijing on 14-15 May 2026.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio also stated that the US military operation against Iran, launched jointly with Israel on 28 February, has ended.

This aligns with Washington shifting its focus to “Project Freedom” in an effort to reopen the vital waterway for global energy.

“Project Freedom” is described as defensive, limited in scope, and temporary, and the US considers the ceasefire with Iran agreed about a month ago to still be in effect.

Earlier on Friday (1/5), US President Donald Trump sent a letter to Congress stating that hostilities against Iran that began on 28 February have ended, although the Pentagon continues to update its military posture in the region due to ongoing threats.

Meanwhile, on 28 February, the US and Israel launched joint strikes against targets in Iran, causing damage and civilian casualties. Then on 7 April, Washington and Tehran announced a two-week ceasefire.

Subsequent negotiations in Islamabad ended without agreement, and Trump extended the suspension of hostilities to give Iran time to prepare a “comprehensive proposal.”

View JSON | Print