Chandra Asri Speaks Out on Extortion at Cilegon Chemical Plant Project
Jakarta - Chandra Asri Group, the owner of the Chlor Alkali-Ethylene Dichloride (CA-EDC) chemical plant construction project in Cilegon, Banten, has spoken out regarding extortion they experienced from community organisations (ormas) and local business actors.
The statement was made by Chandra Asri following a meeting with the Ministry of Investment and Downstreaming/BKPM, the Banten Provincial Government, the Cilegon Municipal Government, the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Kadin) at both central and Cilegon city levels, and the Banten Regional Police to discuss the alleged extortion.
"We from Chandra Asri express our gratitude for being well facilitated, and of course Chandra Asri remains committed to investing in Indonesia to ensure that 8% growth can be achieved," said Edi Rivai, Legal and External Affairs Director of PT Chandra Asri Alkali, at a press conference following the meeting at the BKPM office on Wednesday (14/5/2025).
During the occasion, Edi also apologised that the alleged extortion at Chandra Asri's CA-EDC plant project had attracted public attention and caused a commotion. However, he said the matter had at least been addressed, although he did not elaborate on the details of the resolution.
"We also apologise that the existence of this project has caused a bit of — quite a commotion. Thank you very much, hopefully at the very least it is resolved. We are one united force to grow Indonesia," he explained.
Beyond that, Edi expressed hope that such extortion acts by certain Kadin and ormas elements would not recur, so that the chemical plant construction project could proceed according to the previously established timeline.
"Our hope going forward is that this project can run smoothly in line with the rather tight schedule we want to achieve. For that, we hope for collaboration, innovation, and certainly that things will be better going forward, with no more undesirable incidents," Edi said.
Previously, Deputy Minister of Investment and Downstreaming/Deputy Head of BKPM Todotua Pasaribu held a meeting with several parties following the alleged extortion incident at the PT Chandra Asri Alkali (PT CAA) project in Cilegon, Banten, by certain Kadin Cilegon elements. The meeting involved the Banten Regional Government, Banten Regional Police, Kadin representatives, and Chandra Asri directors.
According to Todotua, he received direct orders from President Prabowo Subianto and Minister of Investment and Downstreaming/BKPM Rosan Roeslani to resolve the matter.
"This meeting was indeed conducted and initiated by the Ministry of Investment and Downstreaming because we received orders from the President and the Minister (Rosan), who is currently abroad, to facilitate a response to the incident that occurred in the Cilegon area," he said at the same press conference.
Todotua stated that the government deeply regretted the incident at what is classified as a National Strategic Project (PSN). He added that the government would hand the case over to the Banten Regional Police.
The statement was made by Chandra Asri following a meeting with the Ministry of Investment and Downstreaming/BKPM, the Banten Provincial Government, the Cilegon Municipal Government, the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Kadin) at both central and Cilegon city levels, and the Banten Regional Police to discuss the alleged extortion.
"We from Chandra Asri express our gratitude for being well facilitated, and of course Chandra Asri remains committed to investing in Indonesia to ensure that 8% growth can be achieved," said Edi Rivai, Legal and External Affairs Director of PT Chandra Asri Alkali, at a press conference following the meeting at the BKPM office on Wednesday (14/5/2025).
During the occasion, Edi also apologised that the alleged extortion at Chandra Asri's CA-EDC plant project had attracted public attention and caused a commotion. However, he said the matter had at least been addressed, although he did not elaborate on the details of the resolution.
"We also apologise that the existence of this project has caused a bit of — quite a commotion. Thank you very much, hopefully at the very least it is resolved. We are one united force to grow Indonesia," he explained.
Beyond that, Edi expressed hope that such extortion acts by certain Kadin and ormas elements would not recur, so that the chemical plant construction project could proceed according to the previously established timeline.
"Our hope going forward is that this project can run smoothly in line with the rather tight schedule we want to achieve. For that, we hope for collaboration, innovation, and certainly that things will be better going forward, with no more undesirable incidents," Edi said.
Previously, Deputy Minister of Investment and Downstreaming/Deputy Head of BKPM Todotua Pasaribu held a meeting with several parties following the alleged extortion incident at the PT Chandra Asri Alkali (PT CAA) project in Cilegon, Banten, by certain Kadin Cilegon elements. The meeting involved the Banten Regional Government, Banten Regional Police, Kadin representatives, and Chandra Asri directors.
According to Todotua, he received direct orders from President Prabowo Subianto and Minister of Investment and Downstreaming/BKPM Rosan Roeslani to resolve the matter.
"This meeting was indeed conducted and initiated by the Ministry of Investment and Downstreaming because we received orders from the President and the Minister (Rosan), who is currently abroad, to facilitate a response to the incident that occurred in the Cilegon area," he said at the same press conference.
Todotua stated that the government deeply regretted the incident at what is classified as a National Strategic Project (PSN). He added that the government would hand the case over to the Banten Regional Police.