Breaking: Trump Signals 'Stop' to Iran War, Ships Can Pass Through Hormuz
US President Donald Trump has issued a new signal regarding the direction of Washington-Tehran relations. He described discussions with Iran as “very positive” amid US plans to escort ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz, which is currently blocked due to the conflict.
In a statement on Truth Social, Trump said the ongoing negotiations could result in an agreement beneficial to all parties.
“I am fully aware that my representatives are having very positive discussions with Iran, and this could lead to something very positive for all parties,” Trump stated, as quoted by AFP on Monday (4/5/2026).
Nevertheless, Trump also provided a concrete indication of US actions on the ground. He assured that Washington would begin escorting commercial ships trapped in that strategic route.
“We will guide their ships safely out of this restricted waterway so they can continue their business,” he said.
The initiative, dubbed the “Freedom Project,” is scheduled to begin on Monday morning Middle East time. Trump emphasised this policy as a “humanitarian gesture,” given that many detained ships are facing logistical shortages.
On the other hand, Iran had previously, through the spokesperson of the Foreign Ministry, Esmaeil Baqaei, revealed that Tehran has submitted a 14-point plan to end the conflict. The proposal was conveyed to the US via mediator Pakistan.
The conflict itself stemmed from an attack by the US-Israel alliance on Iran on 28 February, which killed the highest leader of the Islamic Republic. Tehran then retaliated by attacking US military bases and Israeli targets in the region.
A ceasefire has been in effect since 8 April, but peace efforts remain deadlocked despite direct negotiations held in Islamabad.
Since the war broke out, Iran has controlled the Strait of Hormuz, a vital route for global oil, gas, and fertiliser distribution, which has significantly impacted the world supply chain. In response, the US has imposed a blockade on Iranian ports.
Data from maritime intelligence firm AXSMarine indicates that as of 29 April, more than 900 commercial ships remain in the Gulf. This figure is down from over 1,100 ships at the start of the conflict, signalling the ongoing pressure on global trade traffic.