Borax in Free Nutritious Meals, Head of BGN: Technical Guidelines Violation Occurred
Head of the National Nutrition Agency (BGN), Dadan Hindayana, stated that the Nutrition Fulfilment Service Unit (SPPG) Air Asuk in Kepulauan Anambas Regency, Riau Islands, violated the technical guidelines (Juknis) from BGN. This violation follows the discovery of borax content and E. coli bacteria in the free nutritious meal (MBG) menu.
However, Dadan did not detail the specific Juknis violation in question. “One form of Juknis violation,” Dadan said in a written statement on Wednesday, 6 May 2026.
He stated that SPPG serves as the frontline in MBG programme services. He urged all SPPG units to comply with the established Juknis. “Non-compliance will result in sanctions,” he said.
Dadan also assured ongoing cooperation with the Food and Drug Supervisory Agency (BPOM). However, he called on SPPG managers to proactively prioritise food quality and safety.
BGN had previously reported receiving test results from the Natuna Regency Health Office following the MBG poisoning incident in the area. Based on those test results, the local health office confirmed the presence of borax and E. coli in the MBG menu.
Coordinator of BGN for Kepulauan Anambas Regency, Sahril, said they would increase supervision after receiving the test results. He stated that the SPPG could resume operations once it meets all set standards. One requirement is renewing the Sanitation Hygiene Fitness Certification (SLHS).
The goal, he said, is to ensure that food poisoning incidents from consuming MBG programme food in the area do not recur. “We also emphasise that SPPG must enhance supervision and make improvements to meet BGN standards,” he said, as quoted from Antara on Monday, 4 May 2026.
He confirmed that on Wednesday, 15 April 2026, an extraordinary event (KLB) in the form of food poisoning affected MBG programme beneficiaries in the Air Asuk area. At that time, the Riau Provincial Government, along with the local MBG task force, conducted an investigation.
A team from the Food Security, Agriculture, and Animal Health Office, together with the Riau Islands Provincial Health Office, immediately examined the victims’ conditions after suspected poisoning from consuming MBG. At the time, at least 155 poisoning victims were reported from the incident.
To determine the cause of the poisoning, the Kepulauan Anambas Regency Government conducted testing using a sanitary kit (rapid test) and sent MBG menu samples to BPOM Batam for laboratory testing. “The Natuna Regency Health Office test results from leftover food samples contained borax with contamination levels ranging from 100-5,000 milligrams. Meanwhile, BPOM results detected E. coli,” said Sahril.
He explained that the rapid test results were available on 15 April, while the laboratory test results were received on 28 April 2026. However, the exact cause of the clean water and food contamination remains unknown. “The cause will be further investigated,” he said.