Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Bali Transport Agency confirms smooth ferry crossing traffic during Lunar New Year holiday

| Source: ANTARA_ID | Infrastructure
Denpasar (ANTARA) — The Bali Provincial Transport Agency (Dishub) has confirmed that traffic on the ferry crossing route at Gilimanuk Port flowed smoothly without congestion throughout the extended 2026 Lunar New Year (Imlek) holiday period.

"So far there has been no congestion at the Gilimanuk Port entrance. Congestion at the ferry crossing entrance usually occurs during the Eid al-Fitr homecoming season," said the Head of Bali Provincial Transport Agency, I Kadek Mudarta, in Denpasar on Tuesday.

He explained that the smooth conditions were reflected in the volume of vehicles entering and leaving Bali in the lead-up to the Imlek peak on Sunday (15 February), which did not differ significantly from daily averages.

The average number of vehicles entering Bali during the period of 1-15 February 2026 was 5,557 units, comprising 1,544 two-wheeled vehicles and 4,013 four-wheeled vehicles.

Meanwhile, the volume of vehicles entering on the peak Imlek arrival date of 15 February was 6,788 units — not markedly different from the average.

"Based on data from the Gilimanuk Coordination Post and traffic counting conducted by BPTD Class II Bali, there was generally no significant surge in vehicles entering Bali during the Imlek holiday," said the Bali Transport Agency chief.

He expressed confidence that congestion on the Gilimanuk Port route would only materialise in March, given that this year's Imlek falls just one month before the extended Eid al-Fitr and Nyepi holidays.

A similarly subdued pattern was observed for vehicles departing Bali via Gilimanuk Port, where the average number of outbound vehicles from 1-15 February 2026 stood at 5,471 units, comprising 1,561 two-wheeled vehicles and 3,910 four-wheeled vehicles.

"The highest number of vehicles leaving Bali through Gilimanuk Port occurred on 14 February with 6,549 units, and the lowest was on 2 February with 4,930 units," Mudarta said.

The Bali Transport Agency confirmed that its personnel would continue to monitor potential congestion points throughout the 2026 Lunar New Year period and the return traffic flow.

Attention was not limited to the ferry crossing; overland routes — particularly road segments leading to tourist attraction areas — were also being monitored.

"Up to now, the junctions monitored by the Bali Transport Agency, such as along the Ngurah Rai Bypass, have also been relatively quieter compared to the previous two days, while tourist sites are handled by the respective district and municipal transport agencies," Mudarta said.
View JSON | Print