Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Australia Monitors Facebook and YouTube Over Teen Access Compliance

| Source: DETIK Translated from Indonesian | Regulation
Australia Monitors Facebook and YouTube Over Teen Access Compliance
Image: DETIK

Several technology giants, such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, and YouTube, are under investigation for allegedly violating the ban on social media use for children under 16 in Australia. This was announced by the country’s online watchdog on Tuesday (31/03). Previously, in December 2023, Australia prohibited users under 16 from accessing social media platforms to protect them from “predatory algorithms” and online bullying. eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant released the first compliance report since the rules took effect. The report demands that 10 platforms delete all accounts of Australian users under 16. Although 5 million accounts have been deactivated, the report states that many Australian children are still managing to retain accounts, create new ones, and evade the platforms’ age verification systems. “While these platforms have taken some initial steps, our monitoring shows that some of them are not yet sufficiently complying with Australian law.” Courts can impose fines of up to AUD 49.5 million (approximately IDR 579 billion) for systematic failures to comply with the rules. The decision on whether to take any platform to court will be determined by the eSafety body in mid-year. “Major and long-term changes do take time, but these platforms are fundamentally capable of complying with these rules, and we expect all companies operating in Australia to follow our safety laws,” added Inman Grant. Meanwhile, Communications Minister Michelle Rowland stated that the five criticised platforms are deliberately not complying with Australian law. “Social media platforms are choosing to do the bare minimum because they want this rule to fail,” Rowland told the media. “This is world-leading legislation. We are the first to do it. Of course, they do not want this rule to succeed, because it will create a domino effect for dozens of other countries that since 10 December have stated they will follow Australia’s lead,” she continued. Reddit: This ban is a “legal mistake” Although most technology companies have pledged to comply with Australian law, they warn that such heavy-handed measures could drive teenagers to darker, less monitored corners of the internet. The initial impact of the regulation “shows that this rule is not achieving its goal of improving the safety and well-being of Australian teenagers,” Meta said in January. Meta stated that parents and experts are concerned that the ban will isolate young people from online communities. The Reddit site has filed a lawsuit against the ban, calling it a “legal mistake.” The US-based company said there are serious privacy issues related to age verification, especially since collecting personal data risks leaks or hacks. Reddit’s lawsuit has not yet been scheduled for hearing in the High Court of Australia. Negative impact on teenagers Several studies show that too much time in the virtual world has a negative impact on teenagers. Australia’s ban is appreciated by many parents tired of seeing their children glued to their phones. Malaysia, France, New Zealand, and Indonesia are now considering similar policies. Full responsibility for ensuring that users in Australia are 16 and over lies with social media companies. Some platforms have stated they will use AI-based tools to estimate age from photos, while young users can opt to prove their age by uploading official government identification.

View JSON | Print