Attorney General's Office Optimistic that Ibrahim Arief Will Be Convicted in Chromebook Case
JAKARTA - The Attorney General’s Office (Kejagung) hopes that the panel of judges will declare former technology consultant Ibrahim Arief, or Ibam, guilty in the case of alleged corruption in the procurement of Chromebook-based laptops at the Ministry of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology.
Head of the Legal Information Centre of Kejagung, Anang Supriatna, admitted to being optimistic because other defendants in this case have already been declared guilty beforehand.
“We hope he is proven guilty because previously our hopes have been realised; we are very optimistic,” said Anang when met at the Kejagung Building, Jakarta, on Tuesday (12/5/2026).
“Whatever the decision of the panel of judges, we will respect and appreciate it, and it will be a consideration for us,” he stated.
He also emphasised that Kejagung continues to uphold the presumption of innocence principle in the case.
It is known that the Jakarta Corruption Court held a hearing for the reading of the verdict against Ibam in the alleged corruption case of Chromebook procurement on Tuesday.
Prosecutors also demanded that Ibrahim pay replacement money amounting to Rp 16.9 billion, which is said to be the proceeds of corruption from the Chromebook laptop procurement project.
In the indictment, prosecutors believe that Ibrahim prepared a technical study that directed the use of Chromebook products and influenced ministry officials to choose those products in the procurement.
Meanwhile, Ibrahim’s legal team asked the panel of judges to acquit their client, considering that the prosecutors failed to prove the criminal elements in the case.
Sri was sentenced to four years in prison, while Mulyatsyah was sentenced to 4.5 years in prison and required to pay replacement money of Rp 2.28 billion.
In addition to Ibrahim, former Minister of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology Nadiem Makarim also became a defendant in this case and is scheduled to undergo a prosecution hearing on Wednesday (13/5/2026).