19 ESDM East Java Employees Return Extortion Money from Mining Permits to High Prosecutor's Office
Surabaya (ANTARA) - As many as 19 employees from the Mining Division of the East Java Energy and Mineral Resources Office (ESDM) have returned money from alleged extortion (pungli) in mining permit processing to the East Java High Prosecutor’s Office.
Special Criminal Assistant Wagiyo of the East Java High Prosecutor’s Office in Surabaya on Thursday (23/4) stated that the total amount returned reached Rp707 million, with the process conducted in stages.
“With good faith and without coercion, we have urged all staff in the mining division to return the extortion money gradually,” said Wagiyo.
He explained that the employees who returned the money are witnesses in the case of alleged criminal corruption involving extortion and pungli in mining permit processing.
According to him, the returned money came from the distribution of extortion funds received routinely every month for about two years, with varying amounts between Rp750,000 and Rp2.5 million per person depending on position and workload.
Wagiyo revealed that the extortion practice was allegedly systematic and structured, with fund distribution occurring at the end of each month.
The practice was reportedly directed by two suspects, namely OS as the Head of the Mining Division and AM as the Head of the East Java ESDM Office.
In addition to the return of money, investigators also seized a black metallic 2022 Toyota Fortuner VRZ 4x2 AT vehicle belonging to suspect OS, which is suspected to originate from illicit income.
“From the investigation, the vehicle is suspected to have been obtained from money sourced from the extortion practice,” he said.
In developing the case, investigators previously conducted a follow-up search at the East Java ESDM Office on Monday (20/4) for six hours.
From the search, several documents were found that strengthen the alleged criminal act.
The seized documents include mining permit application files that were allegedly deliberately withheld despite complete requirements, as well as records of financial distribution and leadership dispositions that are suspected to form the basis of unlawful orders.
Investigators also found legal facts consistent with the routine distribution of extortion funds to all mining division staff.
To date, investigators continue to develop the case, including tracing fund flows to other parties.