Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Zulhas Accelerates 32 Waste-to-Energy Power Plant Projects, Here's Why

| Source: CNBC Translated from Indonesian | Energy
Zulhas Accelerates 32 Waste-to-Energy Power Plant Projects, Here's Why
Image: CNBC

The government is accelerating the development of Waste-to-Energy (WtE) projects on a large scale. A total of 32 PSEL facilities are targeted to enter the construction phase directly within about seven weeks, following the emergency status declared by President Prabowo Subianto.

Coordinating Minister for Food Affairs Zulkifli Hasan (Zulhas) stated that this acceleration is a direct instruction from President Prabowo. Therefore, the government is now drastically cutting the project timelines compared to similar previous initiatives.

“Above the President’s order, all because of the emergency, it must be accelerated, so we’re doing a marathon. Previously, in 11 years, only 2 (projects). The World Bank, earlier Pandu (Chief Investment Officer of Danantara) said 45 months. Now we’re doing 6 months, we will complete those 32 (projects) in 7 weeks (starting construction). All of this is Waste to Energy, this is incinerator,” said Zulhas when met at the Coordinating Ministry for Food Affairs office in Jakarta on Tuesday (21/4/2026).

In the initial phase, the government will start projects gradually in several regions. Deputy Minister of Home Affairs (Wamendagri) Bima Arya Sugiarto mentioned that the first wave will cover six areas, including Bogor, Bekasi, and Denpasar.

“This is gradual. This is the first wave of 6. Earlier, Bogor City, Bogor Regency, Bekasi City, Denpasar City, Bekasi Regency,” said Bima when met on the same occasion.

According to him, this project is a breakthrough step to reduce the national waste problem. In the initial phase, the facilities are targeted to process around 25% of waste generation. If expanded in several waves, the waste problem is expected to be significantly reduced in the next 2-3 years.

In terms of project readiness, the government ensures that construction can start immediately once the land is available. However, investors are required to move quickly in the execution phase.

“So construction must start. This is just the land is ready, after that it starts. So the investors must be ready, if not, it will be taken over,” he added.

Although the acceleration target is being pursued, the government acknowledges that the main challenge still revolves around providing land in several regions. Areas that are not ready will enter the next phase, considering that the investment process requires land acquisition.

“So far, the problematic one is the land. That’s why those that are not yet are the next wave. Not all regional governments have land, some involve investment. Investment requires the process of acquisition and so on,” he said.

Meanwhile, West Java Governor Dedi Mulyadi said that local governments have started to move. The West Java Provincial Government along with several city and regency governments have signed cooperation agreements with the tender winners for the WtE project.

“Later when it’s finished, the operation when the construction is done, hopefully quickly,” said the man familiarly known as KDM.

These waste processing facilities are targeted to start operating next year, in line with the government’s push to accelerate long-term solutions to the waste problem, while also supporting the provision of alternative energy.

View JSON | Print