Yusril Pushes for Transparency in Andrie Yunus Case: Do Not Allow Access to Be Closed Off
Coordinating Minister for Law, Human Rights, Immigration, and Corrections, Yusril Ihza Mahendra, has responded to demands for the formation of a Fact-Finding Team in the acid attack case against Andrie Yunus. Yusril stated that the government has no issue discussing the matter, but he has not yet met with President Prabowo Subianto on it.
“This issue has never been discussed internally in the government,” Yusril said in a YouTube broadcast on his channel on Thursday (9/4/2026). Yusril permitted detikcom to quote his statements.
He said President Prabowo had previously emphasised that the case should be handled through firm, swift, and measured legal steps by law enforcement agencies. According to him, such legal steps can be taken by anyone.
“As we know, Puspom and Bareskrim Polri can act more quickly to gather facts in the field, conduct investigations, inquiries up to the investigation stage,” he said.
“Well, forming a fact-finding team requires a time process. Who will sit on it? What is the legal basis for its formation? Whether by Presidential Decree or what? What are its duties and authorities?” he continued.
Yusril assessed that the Fact-Finding Team has advantages and disadvantages. One of them is that people who do not understand the law can join in conducting investigations and gathering facts.
“This I think will make the story long, and in the end the facts found are still handed over, for example, in the serious human rights violation in Aceh at that time, it was also handed over to the Prosecutor’s Office, the Prosecutor’s Office verified and said there is not enough evidence to proceed,” he revealed.
“Well, if that process is very slow, the person has already fled somewhere, while we want something like the President’s directive for firm, swift, measured legal steps, we do it immediately,” he added.
Furthermore, Yusril said he cannot convey the government’s official stance on the formation of the Fact-Finding Team. Because it must go through a coordination meeting and direct instructions from the President.
“I cannot say government, because if it’s government, it must be directed through a coordination meeting and await directions from the President,” he stated.
However, personally, Yusril believes the current legal process is already underway. He said Puspom TNI has arrested and detained the perpetrators.
“But personally, I believe that legal steps have already begun, already taken by the police, the police then stepped back because no civilians were found in it. Puspom has stepped in. They have been arrested, detained,” he explained.
Yusril emphasised the importance of public oversight of the legal process in the case. He encouraged the public to continue monitoring and criticising to ensure the process runs transparently.
“Now, how the observers, media, will monitor what is done by Puspom, criticise the steps they take,” Yusril said.
“Continuously urging them to be transparent. Do not let there be an impression that when this is taken over by Puspom, it seems like they want to cover something up, want to protect something,” he continued.
The government, he added, also does not want anything to be covered up in revealing the case. Yusril emphasised that legal cases must be investigated transparently.
“That we ourselves in the government have no desire like that. We want legal cases to be revealed thoroughly, openly, transparently,” he explained.
“Do not let this be taken by Puspom and then media access is closed off, don’t know who the investigators are, the military court is also not open, we don’t, we don’t want something like that to happen,” Yusril added.