You can't cope, Gus Dur told
You can't cope, Gus Dur told
JAKARTA (JP): A People's Consultative Assembly (MPR) faction called on President Abdurrahman "Gus Dur" Wahid on Tuesday to ponder resignation as the burden on him had "gone beyond his capability".
The Interest Groups faction, which holds 73 seats in the MPR, said that it hoped the President would think over its suggestions as "public trust in the government is dwindling."
"With regard to withering public trust in the government and the President's limitations, it is expected that the President will consider a range of suggestions conveyed by the public, including resigning if this could improve the situation," the faction said in a 12-page statement delivered to Abdurrahman during a meeting at Merdeka Palace on Tuesday morning.
Abdurrahman, who at the time of his election in October, 1999 was one of the Interest Groups faction's representatives, has been under intense pressure to step down over his erratic leadership and failure to address mounting domestic problems.
During the meeting, the President reiterated his refusal to bow down to resignation calls, saying that he will serve his full term until 2004.
"It is very important to guard the constitutional system so that a president will be able to carry out duties until the end of a (five-year) presidential term.
"But, considering current conditions, which are very worrying, the public's high expectations and the formidable task the President is facing, we fear that the burden will in the end become unbearable for the President," the statement said.
The faction added, however, that the mounting domestic problems Abdurrahman is now facing were inherited from more than 30 years rule of former president Soeharto.
"After almost one-and-a-half years, we are beginning to have doubts over whether your leadership will be able to overcome the crisis.
"It is regrettable if the President is not aware of his own limitations," the statement said.
It also said that, among those calling on Abdurrahman to resign were, "the President's friends who are only trying to open the possibility of his graceful exit".
"We call on the President to carefully consider all constructive options that have been put forward," the statement said, referring to an array of options put on the table by top politicians, ranging from immediate resignation to a power- sharing formula with Vice President Megawati Soekarnoputri.
Speaking to reporters after meeting with Abdurrahman, deputy chairman of the faction, Siswono Yudhohusodo, said that the President renewed his defiance of the power-sharing scheme.
The President, Siswono said, also doubted whether Megawati would be any better than him.
"The President questioned whether Megawati controlling the government will actually make the government better," Siswono said.
Harun Kamil, another of the faction's deputy chairmen who was also present, added that Abdurrahman told faction delegates that the power-sharing proposal would be ineffective.
"The President said that if it is handed over to Megawati, it would not work either, because what has been handed over so far has since been returned," Harun said.
Abdurrahman has said earlier that the power-sharing proposal, which was mooted by House Speaker Akbar Tandjung last week, was unconstitutional.
Secretary General of Megawati's Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle, Pramono Anung, was cool on Abdurrahman's skepticism of Megawati's competence, saying that it was "just a reminder from a friend."
"Of course there will be political consequences, but we will not take the statement seriously and emotionally," Pramono said after the party's meeting on Tuesday.
Akbar, later in the day, rebuffed Abdurrahman's remark, saying that Megawati's ability has been tested.
In what appeared to be damage control, the presidential office issued a different version of the faction's 12-page statement, saying that the faction met the President in the morning "to express support for Gus Dur's leadership until 2004."
In a three-page statement, presidential spokesman Adhi Massardi also denied that Abdurrahman had ever doubted Megawati's competence.
"The President is certain that Megawati is capable ... he therefore has entrusted Cabinet meetings to Megawati," Adhi said. (byg/dja)