Yemen and Saudi Arabia to Safeguard Red Sea and Bab el-Mandeb Shipping Lanes
The Yemeni government has affirmed its commitment to working with the Saudi-led coalition and international partners to counter threats and protect vital waterways amid rising tensions with the Houthi group.
In a statement on social media platform X on Saturday, Rashad al-Alimi, Chairman of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council, said the cooperation also focuses on tackling terrorism, smuggling, and organised crime. “This is a national responsibility and an unwavering commitment to the security of Yemen, the region, and global peace,” al-Alimi stated.
Al-Alimi accused the Houthi group and its backers of undermining de-escalation efforts, claiming their actions deliberately drag the country into successive crises to serve the agenda of the Iranian regime. He asserted that the aspirations of the Yemeni people to build a dignified and stable state would never be a bargaining chip.
“The continued escalation only wastes time and drains Yemen’s resources without diminishing the public’s resolve to end the coup and restore state authority,” al-Alimi said. The statement followed confirmation that the Saudi-led coalition had conducted proportional military strikes against Houthi targets in Al-Hudayda province in response to threats against shipping. The Houthis had previously accused Saudi Arabia of striking civilian targets in Hodeidah and Kamaran Island, and had announced a maritime blockade against Saudi-affiliated vessels in the Red Sea and Bab el-Mandeb Strait.