West Bandung Regent condemns kidnapping of two Republika journalists by Israeli forces
The Regent of Bandung Barat, Jeje Ritchie Ismail, has strongly condemned the actions of Zionist Israeli forces who abducted several Indonesian citizens taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) humanitarian mission. The ships carrying them were intercepted in international waters.
Of the nine Indonesians currently detained by Israel, two are Republika journalists: Bambang Noroyono and Thoudy Badai. At the time of interception by Israeli forces in the eastern Mediterranean, Bambang was aboard the Bora Alize, while Thoudy was on the Kasr-1.
In addition, two other journalists were abducted by Israel: Andre Prasetyo Nugroho and Rahendro Herubowo. Andre is a journalist for Tempo. The remaining five Indonesians are humanitarian activists: Hendro Prasetyo, Andi Angga, Ronggo Wirasanu, Herman Budianto, and As’ad Aras.
“I, Jeje Ritchie Ismail, Regent of Bandung Barat, strongly condemn the arrests and detentions carried out by Zionist Israeli forces against Indonesian citizens. This includes several journalists who joined the humanitarian mission to Gaza as part of the Global Sumud Flotilla,” Jeje said on Wednesday, 20 May 2026.
Jeje hopes that the Indonesian citizens undertaking the humanitarian mission will be released by Israeli forces and return home safely.
“We express solidarity and moral support to the Indonesians currently reported to be detained. Among them are Bambang Noroyono and Thoudy Badai, Republika journalists. In a conflict situation, humanitarian work and freedom of the press are matters that must be respected and protected,” Jeje said.
Previously, Republika reported that the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) had said it had received reports that nine Indonesian citizens taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) had been abducted by Israeli forces. The Indonesian government is currently intensifying efforts to secure their protection.
According to the latest information (07:13 WIB), the nine Indonesian nationals from the Global Peace Convoy Indonesia (GPCI) taking part in the GSF 2.0 mission have all been reported as detained by Israel, said MoFA spokesperson Yvonne Mewengkang in a statement on the morning of Wednesday, 20 May 2026.
She said MoFA, together with Indonesian representatives, continues to pursue intensive engagement with local authorities and all parties involved to ensure the protection of the nine Indonesian nationals. “All diplomatic channels and consular steps will be maximised to ensure full protection for the Indonesian nationals and their safe return,” Yvonne added.
“Indonesia calls on the Israeli authorities to immediately release all vessels and crew of the international humanitarian mission detained,” added Yvonne.