US to withdraw all troops from Syria
Istanbul (ANTARA) - The United States has decided to withdraw its remaining troops from Syria within the next two months, numbering approximately 1,000 personnel, following a gradual drawdown over recent months, the Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday.
Citing a source, the report stated that Washington has assessed that the US military presence in Syria is no longer required as security conditions in the country have changed.
The assessment is based on the near-complete dissolution of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and the YPG, along with their integration into Syrian state structures, meaning the original US mission of combating ISIS through local partners is considered complete.
According to the report, the US military has also completed the withdrawal of troops from the Al-Tanf garrison, a key outpost near Syria's border with Jordan and Iraq, as well as from the Al-Shaddadi base in north-eastern Syria earlier this month.
The report stressed that the troop withdrawal is unrelated to the current deployment of US naval and air forces in the Middle East, which is aimed at preparing for possible strikes against Iran should nuclear negotiations fail.
Iran had previously warned it would target American forces in the region in response to any US air strikes.
Citing a senior US official, the report said the troop withdrawal is being carried out as the Syrian government assumes responsibility for counter-terrorism efforts, adding that US forces can still respond to threats posed by ISIS.
However, a number of US and foreign officials have warned that reducing the American presence risks undermining the ceasefire and allowing ISIS to re-emerge. Meanwhile, others have assessed that the remaining US troops function more as a political signal than a substantive counter-terrorism force.
Source: Anadolu
Citing a source, the report stated that Washington has assessed that the US military presence in Syria is no longer required as security conditions in the country have changed.
The assessment is based on the near-complete dissolution of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and the YPG, along with their integration into Syrian state structures, meaning the original US mission of combating ISIS through local partners is considered complete.
According to the report, the US military has also completed the withdrawal of troops from the Al-Tanf garrison, a key outpost near Syria's border with Jordan and Iraq, as well as from the Al-Shaddadi base in north-eastern Syria earlier this month.
The report stressed that the troop withdrawal is unrelated to the current deployment of US naval and air forces in the Middle East, which is aimed at preparing for possible strikes against Iran should nuclear negotiations fail.
Iran had previously warned it would target American forces in the region in response to any US air strikes.
Citing a senior US official, the report said the troop withdrawal is being carried out as the Syrian government assumes responsibility for counter-terrorism efforts, adding that US forces can still respond to threats posed by ISIS.
However, a number of US and foreign officials have warned that reducing the American presence risks undermining the ceasefire and allowing ISIS to re-emerge. Meanwhile, others have assessed that the remaining US troops function more as a political signal than a substantive counter-terrorism force.
Source: Anadolu