Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

US Suddenly Agrees with Iran: Diplomatic Manoeuvre or Trump's Backdown?

| | Source: MEDIA_INDONESIA Translated from Indonesian | Politics
US Suddenly Agrees with Iran: Diplomatic Manoeuvre or Trump's Backdown?
Image: MEDIA_INDONESIA

Iran has welcomed US President Donald Trump’s decision to postpone attacks for two weeks while reopening access to the Strait of Hormuz on Wednesday (8/4). Through a statement released by Mehr News Agency, Iran’s Supreme National Security Council confirmed a two-week ceasefire agreement, reportedly mediated by Pakistan. The council stated that the agreement, approved by Iran’s supreme leader Mojtaba Khamenei, represents a victory for Tehran. Iran also claimed that the ceasefire was achieved after the US accepted 10 demands put forward by Tehran. During the ceasefire period, both countries will begin a negotiation process expected to end the conflict that has been ongoing since 28 February. “Iran will allocate two weeks for this (negotiation) process. This period can be extended by mutual agreement,” the council’s statement said, as reported by CNN News on Wednesday (8/4). “During this period, it is important to maintain full national unity and continue the celebration of victory strongly,” it added. Meanwhile, Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi also issued a statement on behalf of the Supreme National Security Council via platform X on Tuesday (7/4). “On behalf of the Islamic Republic of Iran, I extend my thanks and appreciation to my dear brothers, His Excellency Prime Minister Sharif of Pakistan and His Excellency Field Marshal Munir, for their tireless efforts to end the war in the region,” he said. Araghchi emphasised that the cessation of attacks against Iran would be reciprocated by Iran’s military. He stated that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps would halt retaliatory operations if attacks on Iran are stopped. Additionally, he mentioned the reopening of global energy trade routes through the Strait of Hormuz, which had been closed due to the conflict. “For two weeks, safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz will be possible through coordination with Iran’s Armed Forces and considering technical limitations,” he concluded. This agreement serves as an initial signal of de-escalation in the conflict while opening opportunities for a diplomatic resolution between the two countries.

View JSON | Print