Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

US Strike on Iran This Weekend Depends on Trump's Order

| Source: DETIK | Politics
Tensions between the United States and Iran are escalating. The US has declared its readiness to strike Iran this weekend, contingent upon an order from President Donald Trump.

As compiled by detikcom on Thursday (19/2/2026), the US has conducted a massive military deployment in the Middle East region, ranging from warships and fighter jets to aerial refuelling aircraft.

The US is said to be ready to attack Iran this weekend. The strike could be carried out if Trump gives the order.

Trump, who ordered strikes against Iran last year, has repeatedly threatened Tehran with military action should ongoing negotiations fail to reach a replacement agreement for the nuclear deal that he himself cancelled in 2018.

Reports from leading US media outlets, including CNN and CBS, as cited by AFP on Thursday (19/2/2026), indicate that the US military would be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend, although Trump has not yet made a final decision.

The White House, according to multiple sources cited by CNN, has been briefed that the military could be ready to launch strikes this weekend, following a significant increase in the deployment of air force and naval assets to the Middle East in recent days.

However, one source cautioned that Trump has privately argued both for and against military action against Iran, and has sought the opinions of his advisers and allies on the best course of action.

US national security officials held a meeting in the Situation Room at the White House on Wednesday (18/2) local time to discuss the situation regarding Iran. Trump had also been briefed by the US special envoy for the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, about their indirect talks with Iran in Switzerland on Tuesday (17/2).

Thus far, it remains unclear whether Trump will make a decision this weekend. "He is spending a great deal of time thinking about this," said one source cited by CNN.

US and Iranian negotiators exchanged notes over 3.5 hours during indirect talks mediated by Oman on Tuesday (17/2), although the discussions ended without a clear resolution. Tehran's chief negotiator said both sides had agreed on "a set of guiding principles," but a US official noted there were "still many details to be discussed."

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said on Wednesday (18/2) that Iran was expected to provide further details on its negotiating position "in the coming weeks." However, Leavitt did not say whether Trump would delay military action during that period.

Speaking to reporters, Leavitt affirmed that Trump always prioritises diplomacy, although military action also remains an option.

"The President has always been very clear — whether regarding Iran or any country in the world — diplomacy is always his first choice, and Iran would be very wise to make a deal with President Trump and this administration," she said.

Leavitt added that Trump "speaks with many people, particularly his national security team," but she also stated: "There are many reasons and arguments that can be made for strikes against Iran."

These ambiguous statements have heightened concerns about a US-Iran military conflict, even as officials from both countries appear to hope for a diplomatic solution.

In addition to the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and other US warships, the USS Gerald R. Ford — the most advanced aircraft carrier in the US arsenal — could arrive in the Middle East region as early as this weekend.
View JSON | Print