Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

US-Iran War Update: New Peace Proposal to Putin Taking Action

| Source: CNBC Translated from Indonesian | Politics
US-Iran War Update: New Peace Proposal to Putin Taking Action
Image: CNBC

The latest developments have occurred in the Middle East regarding the war between the United States (US) and Iran. Among them is the latest peace proposal given by Tehran to Washington concerning the Strait of Hormuz.

Citing CNBC International, Tuesday (28/4/2026), President Donald Trump and his national security team have begun discussing Iran’s proposal to reopen the Strait of Hormuz. This is if the US lifts the blockade and the war ends.

This report was also confirmed by the White House Press Secretary, Karoline Leavitt, as reported by Axios and The Associated Press (AP). However, the proposal would delay negotiations on Iran’s nuclear programme.

Nevertheless, it remains unclear at this time whether Trump will consider the reported offer to end the war that has lasted two months. Trump himself has pledged not to lift the Strait of Hormuz blockade until an agreement with Iran is “100% complete”.

“I can confirm that the president met with his national security team this morning,” Leavitt said during a press conference on Monday afternoon US time, when asked about the report.

“The meeting may still be ongoing,” she added, mentioning “but the proposal is being discussed.”

“I don’t want to get ahead of the president or his national security team. What I want to reiterate is that the president’s red lines regarding Iran have been made very, very clear, not only to the American public but also to them,” she said.

“I just want to say that there was a discussion this morning that I don’t want to get ahead of, and you will hear directly from the president, I’m sure, on this topic soon.”

Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio also revealed Iran’s proposal in a Fox News interview. However, he emphasised that Iran has no right to “open the Strait” because Hormuz is an international waterway.

“What they mean by opening the strait is, ‘Yes, the strait is open, as long as you coordinate with Iran, get our permission, or we’ll blow you up and you’ll pay us,’” Rubio said.

“That’s not opening the strait. It is an international waterway. They cannot normalise it, and we also cannot tolerate their efforts to normalise a system where Iran decides who has the right to use the international waterway and how much you have to pay them to use it,” he explained.

Previously, the Trump administration has repeatedly emphasised that the main goal of this conflict is to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. Iran itself does enrich uranium but denies intending to reach the point of making weapons.

“Everything will be small compared to that, if they are ever given nuclear weapons,” Trump said on Saturday night when speaking to reporters at the White House after the shooting at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.

On the other hand, Iran’s chief diplomat blamed Washington for the failure of Middle East peace negotiations during his visit to Russia. Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi was in Saint Petersburg on a short diplomatic tour, after travelling to Oman between two visits to Pakistan, the main mediator in the Middle East war.

Previously, Trump suddenly cancelled plans for his envoys, Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, to visit Islamabad over the weekend. Even though Araghchi had already arrived.

Trump told Fox News that if Iran wants talks, “they can contact us”. He added that the cancellation does not signal a return to hostilities.

“The US approach caused the previous round of negotiations, despite progress, to fail to achieve its goals due to excessive demands,” Araghchi said.

Russian President Vladimir Putin himself promised Moscow’s full support to end the war to Tehran. Putin and Araghchi both expressed their commitment to the “strategic relations” between their respective countries after their meeting.

View JSON | Print