UN government in E. Timor still struggling: Leader
UN government in E. Timor still struggling: Leader
SINGAPORE (Agencies): The United Nations' transitional government in East Timor is still struggling, leaving much to "sheer luck" despite 18 months in power, the head of the UN mission running the new nation said on Monday.
"We're only just coming to terms with the reality of government. While we do much that is right, there is still far too much left to improvisation and to sheer luck," Sergio Vieira de Mello said.
East Timor's medical facilities and judicial system, for example, need urgent attention, Vieira de Mello said at a conference in Singapore.
In trying to get the country running, the UN leadership in East Timor is dealing with severely under-trained surgeons and judges "whose experience is confined to a university library," he said.
Vieira de Mello was delivering the opening speech at a conference on how to implement the findings of a report released last year by an international panel, which called for a total overhaul of UN peacekeeping.
He said the UN must learn from its past mistakes. In 1999, UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan apologized for the organization's failure to halt the 1994 Rwandan genocide after it pulled its peacekeepers out of the African nation.
"We need to avoid the mistakes of the past and ensure that the departure of a peace operation does not lead to a vacuum in the country in question, or a sense of abandonment," Vieira de Mello said. "This is what we are trying to avoid in East Timor."
East Timor has been under UN rule since November 1999, after the former Indonesian territory voted for independence. The UN took over from an Australian-led international peacekeeping force that quelled a violent anti-independence backlash by Indonesia- backed militias.
Vieira de Mello said the recent worldwide proliferation of peacekeeping activities has highlighted the UN's limitations in conducting such operations.
"The organization remains the best option available, but it could be much better," he said.
The front line of peacekeeping operations have moved from mainly military and policing tasks to governance, he added.
The delegates at the two-day Singapore conference, including UN and government representatives and nongovernment organizations, were drawing up a list of recommendations on peacekeeping based on lessons learned from recent experiences. The list will be submitted to the UN secretary general and the Security Council.
Meanwhile, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) reported from Sydney on Monday that Nobel peace prize winner and East Timorese foreign minister Jose Ramos-Horta has run into opposition to plans to become chief of the National Council.
ABC said the 36-member council had demanded the United Nations compile a list of other possible candidates to succeed Xanana Gusmao as leader of the country's embryonic parliament.
Popular independence leader Gusmao resigned from the position last week, citing in-fighting as his reason for quitting.
On the weekend, the UN selected Ramos Horta to fill Gusmao's place as chief of the council. However, during a fiery meeting on Monday, the council called for an open race.
The National Council is entirely appointed by the UN administration and has no real power, but debates drafts of UN regulations.
It is seen as a possible precursor to a body for eventual East Timorese self-rule.
Ramos-Horta was the East Timorese independence movement's chief spokesman at the UN throughout Indonesia's 24-year occupation.
East Timorese voted on Aug. 30, 1999 to secede from Indonesia and to establish an independent state.
UN peacekeepers were later deployed to restore order after pro-Indonesian militias waged a brutal scorched-earth campaign aimed at terrorizing East Timor's population of 800,000 into remaining loyal to Jakarta.