Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Two reported dead, 12 injured in fresh East Timor clash

| Source: JP
Two reported dead, 12 injured in fresh East Timor clash

DILI, East Timor (JP): Two proindependence activists were shot
dead and at least 12 others were injured in a clash which erupted
during a traditional mourning service on Wednesday in Becora,
Dili.

A similar clash wounded five antiintegration youths on Tuesday
in Liquica regency.

The body of 23-year-old Francisco do Conceao Hornae of Los
Palos regency was taken to the Resistance Council for Free East
Timor (CRNRT) by friends.

The other corpse was delivered to the International Committee
of the Red Cross office before being taken to a clinic near
Motael church, witnesses said. They believed the victim was
Joacim do Santos of East Timor University, although official
identification is pending.

"I believe a dozen others were also seriously injured, but we
are still counting victims," CRNRT activist Domingos Soares said.

Other witnesses said the violence erupted when Dominicus
Berek, reputedly an intelligence officer, tried to provoke
mourners at a service marking the death of a Becora resident
several days ago.

Dominicus escaped to nearby military barracks.

"A group of military personnel then arrived, terrorized the
villagers and also shot some of them," a witness said.

Police said the shooting occurred after the mob attacked a
passing police officer. However, they did not reveal the parties
responsible for the shooting and the number of victims.

Tension has escalated among the province's 800,000 people
since President B.J. Habibie said in January he wanted to see a
separate East Timor by early 2000.

Proindependence groups allege the Armed Forces (ABRI) is
providing arms to prointegration civilian militia groups,
including the official People's Security (Kamra).

ABRI Commander Gen. Wiranto said on Monday he would only
disarm Kamra if separatist groups also gave up arms.

On Tuesday, an effort of local authorities to peacefully
settle last week's incident which killed Joanico Gomes in
Maubara, Liquica, ended in violence.

"I have received a report about the incident, but we still do
not know about the victims," East Timor Police chief Col. Timbul
Silaen said on Wednesday.

Maubara district chief Jose Afat and military district chief
Sgt. Maj. Carlos Amaral invited the two conflicting parties for a
meeting in Guisu village on Tuesday afternoon.

Quoting police spokesman Capt. Widodo, Antara reported the two
hostile sides fired at each other using old or makeshift guns.
Three people suffered serious injuries, including Juvito dos
Santos and Alberto Afonco, both 27. They were rescued by their
friends. (33/prb)
View JSON | Print